AA Advice for first timer

Hi I’m going to my first ever AA meeting tonight and I feel really anxious. Any advice/encouragement is greatly appreciated xxx

2 Likes

I go to AA all the time. I really enjoy the meetings and people. Just go in with an open mind. Look for the similarities not differences. Not everyones story is the same but we do have that one factor in common, were alcoholics. We like to drink and its abnormal for us not too. But i need help! I have a mind that forgets and lies and tells me, you can have just one drink. Yea right, ive never just had one drink! But i needed help and guidance on how not to drink on a daily basis. I eventually got a sponsor and started working steps, but it wasnt at my first meeting either… When you do go to the meeting, the chair person (person who is running the meeting) will ask are there any new comers, anyone here for there first time? introduce yourself by your first name so they can get to know you… also if youre ready, get your desire coin, which are usually handed out toward the end of the meeting, its showing that your ready for a new way of life. Now id recommened to do it when your ready though… and only you know if your ready for a life of sobriety. Get some phone numbers, so you have people to call when going through a hard time… This is normal so try not to feel awkward. AA usually sticks with the same sex at first, like men with men, women with women. Just keeps it simple at first… I hope this helps you feel a little more comfortable when you do go. Good luck and welcome!

2 Likes

totally normal to be anxious about going for the first time. new experience, new people and all. my biggest encouragement is easy to give and much harder to take, but it’s simply to relax :slight_smile: it seems intimidating your first time but the people there will be very welcoming. i also encourage you to share you’re new. around here towards the start of the meetings they say “is this anyone’s first time at aa?” and they ask for you to just say your name to the group. i never did this at first as i was too nervous, but i would recommend doing it. it’s totally up to you to do so though.

glad to hear you’re getting involved w a recovery program :slight_smile: you should report back here afterwards about how your first meeting went :slight_smile:

have a great day

Thank you soo much. I don’t drink everyday but when I do I don’t know when to stop. It’s common for me to drink until I black out so I know I have a problem. Soon as I’m stressed or upset I have a drink. I’m hoping AA will change my way of thinking x

Thank you so much and yes I will. I don’t know why I’m nervous. The fact I’ve finally admitted to myself that I have a problem and need support. X

1 Like

we’re human, we get nervous. all normal and fine. really cool you’re making this move for your recovery and attending a meeting. looking forward to hearing back from you regarding your experience/thoughts! :slight_smile:

Thank you :blush:

Hopefully someone will ask you if your new and you will be made welcome because you will be the most important person in the room . dont have to say anything and rem all of the people have been were you are wish you well , lets us know how you get on

Thank you so much for the positive encouragement :blush:

So I DID it. Plucked up the courage to go thanks to you all and the lovely AA suport worker I spoke to over the phone. Met a lovely group of people. Very welcoming and friendly. I will definitely be returning next week as I feel i will benefit for sure and I cannot do this alone. Thank you all :blush:

5 Likes

@Future, glad you had a positive first experience with AA. Keep coming back.

3 Likes