AA Closed Discussion meeting?

Then we read a portion of chapter 3 and a portion of chapter 5.

Annnnd I canā€™t seem to get the pictures to upload in the correct order. Ha

1 Like

I get the gist of it. I guess meetings can really vary from region to region

1 Like

I will ask her when I see her. Luckily for me we go to all the same meetings, but itā€™s kinda cool the blue card started up here. NY knows how to AA lol (kidding of course)

1 Like

Nice. Thanks for sharing pal! I donā€™t know who the hell my archive person is but Iā€™ll ask My buddy Walt. Heā€™s an old timer and heā€™s on the board of the Alano Club I go to. He will know. Dude knows everything and everyone. He has amazing stories. He was good friends with the speaker we have all heard Clancy. He actually told me one about being at some farm feeding goats with Clancy. Iā€™ll get details this Sunday for @DowntroddenGoat

I do know that I am very uneducated on the intergroup stuff in AA. Itā€™s because I go to an Alano Club. It has meetings all day every day. Each meeting has a Secretary/Chairman commitment, but thatā€™s it. The club has a small kitchen/deli/cafe that makes and sells food. The chef doubles as the literature person. And the coffee person. They have the register so they are also the treasurer. Every secretary pays them them for the coffee and rent for their meeting. They are also members of AA. And man there was times in the begining that even if there wasnā€™t a meeting going on, I at least had them to talk to any time of the day.

Itā€™s kind of a bummer cuz there really arenā€™t any commitments there other than secretary. And that ā€œrequiresā€ 6 months. There are unofficial ones tho. Iā€™ve had newcomers pick up the books after literature meetings. And ocationally youā€™ll see someone greeting at the door. But thereā€™s no coffee or literature commitment. No treasurer

2 Likes

Venturing out to other meetings has been suggested to me before. It is something I have on the back burner for now. Iā€™m super happy with my club for now. I have Chair 2 meetings there a week and have my menā€™s meeting and at least one other I hit there weekly, every week.

I will venture out thoā€¦ SomedayšŸ˜¬

1 Like

Thank you for all the replies everyone. Youā€™re all very helpful! Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t respond sooner, Iā€™m still sober but Iā€™m recovering from food poisoningā€¦ now thereā€™s a way to stay sober for a little while atleast :nauseated_face:

Going to my first meeting tonight! 1 week going strong :muscle:t3:

I will be changing meetings for a few days. So thereā€™s this lady who is notorious in Syracuse AA meetings, which is tough to do considering how sick we are. Well anyway, sheā€™s back in town from who knows where. Well she takes cross-talk to a whole new level. She even interrupted the serenity prayer and readings. When someone shared she would just start talking over them. Then she would tell people they were wrong and generally argued with everyone. She then threatened to kill Al Pacino, for whatever reason. An old timer who has the patience of a saint ended up taking her into the other room. But the damage was already done. She made one of the newcomers cry basically. I ended up praying the whole meeting just so I didnā€™t say anything (the old timers took care of that) and missed most of the message. I try to be as tolerant as possible in the rooms but this lady was being a c**t for the sake of doing it, and I donā€™t use that word lightly.

Regardless, I will be hitting different meetings till she leaves again.

2 Likes

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, this lady claims she is bipolar so that gives her carte blanche to act out. Buuuuut, Iā€™m bipolar and I understand what itā€™s like to be fidgety or lose concentration, but I donā€™t use it as an excuse. Me and my higher power definitely had a long talk during the meeting today. He wants me to go to a step study I have never been to at 530 lol.

1 Like

Are you working steps? Step studies can be a good run through. I often go to a Friday night group which does a condensed review of the steps over 4 weeks.

It gets repetitive as itā€™s a 4 week cycle and I think it could be spread over longer to get better in depth discussion on each step but itā€™s not my format to change.

Hope you enjoy it if you go.

I am working the steps, but my sponsor is taking me through them slowly and very in depth. He can tell that I want to race through them so heā€™s making me really think about them. Heā€™s a good sponsor.

1 Like

Tonight is the monthly Grapvine meeting or the monthly tradition meeting (instead of the regular step meeting). Donā€™t remember which.

Glad you found him. My sponsor didnā€™t rush me through them, but kept saying I was getting it and set targets for me weekly which I kinda thrived on.

We meet weekly still and he runs our big book study group. Heā€™s constantly sponsoring people and Iā€™ve seen about 8 newcomers getting sober and working the program successfully within a year through my group. Some people fall away but not many.

Uhg. These situations are so freaking uncomfortable!! Everyone in the room is just sitting on their hands and trying not to crawl out of their skin.
I too leave it to the old timers.

As secretary Iā€™ve had to shut people down a couple times tho. One lady was obviously fucked up on something. She had come the week before and was totally fine. She had a great share and was well spoken. I had a talk with her after the meeting and got her a Big Book. Told her to come back next week.
The next week she was a mess. Shared 4 times and all 4 were nonsense. Blubbering, tearful nonsense. Finally I just had to very politely say something like ā€œwe really gotta give other folks a chance to share. How bout you grab someone after the meeting to talk toā€. She agreed and shut up the rest of the meeting.
Havenā€™t seen her since. I hope sheā€™s okay. She was on a court card so I hope I see her again.

@Gabe.G
The Womenā€™s International AA Conference is in Los Angeles this year. Feb. 7 to 10th. Check it out.