AA meeting2022

Been sober almost 2 weeks. I have always tried getting sober on my own and will be good for a couple months but then always fall off the wagon. I am thinking about attending AA meetings but ive never bin to one and im kind of nervous. Any advise for this AA newbie ? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes!! Take what you need, and leave the rest.

See if you can borrow the big book and read it.

It’s amazing how a book written in 1939 can be so offensive!

It’s only offensive, cuz it’s TRUE.

Please give it time, and I’m glad you’re here!!

@Ray_M_C_Laren any good advice sir?

4 Likes

There is a great meeting locator app called “meeting guide”. It’s blue with a white folding chair. Then pop in your location and you’ll get a list of meetings in your area by day and time.

The people will be very welcoming and probably offer you a list of phone numbers before you leave but ask if they don’t offer so that you can start building your network. Even if you don’t use it right away, it’s good to have.

When they ask if there is anyone new or coming back that would like to introduce themselves, raise your hand, say your first name only and let them know it’s your first meeting. No need to elaborate unless you want to.

When they open the meeting for discussion, you’re not obligated to share. If you feel more comfortable just listening, that’s fine. It took me a few meetings to share, I wanted to get the hang of the format and get to know a little about others before opening up.

There is no cross talk meaning don’t speak to someone else’s share, stick to your own experiences.

Go to a few different meetings until you find which ones you vibe with. Most importantly, take what you need and leave the rest (same advice I’d give to someone new to this forum).

If you’re an outgoing type of person, get there early and stay at the end to talk to people. I’ve built some pretty amazing friendships with people in the rooms.

Remember, they all had their first meeting jitters too and can relate to how you’re feeling so don’t be scared. I know it’s easier said than done but they’ll make you feel at ease.

3 Likes

Try a meeting people there been were you have they understand get phone numbers and just listen no need to speak keep it simple im sure youl be ok wish you well

3 Likes

How are things?

Oh not to bad , you ?

1 Like

Good thanks! It’s a snowy, sunny day here, so I’m looking forward to some ice skating (you can’t see the ice rink but it’s behind the big tree at right):

After that I’m cooking dinner then getting my to-do list ready for the week.

What’s up with you?

1 Like