AA meetings/non religious

I was wondering how many atheist/agnostics/non religious people attend AA meetings. I am an atheist and I am an alcoholic. But I have to admit that the god talk is a huge turn off. Tonight was my second meeting and I’m just wondering if any of y’all have been able to work the steps without the “higher power” type stuff?

10 Likes

I’m an atheist but was raised Mormon and had god talk shoved down my throat my entire life- to the point I’m in therapy about it.
I still attend AA.
I don’t recite the prayers. I tune out the god talk completely.
As far as my “higher power” I consider it to be a version of MYSELF that’s not a drunk asshole. I want to heal, my body wants to heal, and that simple fact is my higher power.
My dog also hated it when I got blacked out, he’d get so anxious and worried and would hide in the bathtub. So sometimes I’ll consider him my higher power too, because he wants me to be well.
:dog::slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

There are quad A meetings (atheist agnostics of alcoholics anonymous) if you want to stay going to meetings. I believe they have a website as well. I will look for it.

3 Likes

I found this one on the info about them
http://lf.org/aaaa/history.html

3 Likes

That last one is about the Chicago groups
This one is a meeting list of quad A worldwide
https://www.secularaa.org/meetings/?tsml-day=any

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Yea. I joined the circle both times, held hands, bowed my head out of respect but just stood there. That’s kind of how I was thinking I would go about it. Think of the higher power as my sober self and my support system that I have in place.

The people at the meetings have been great so that was an encouragement.

1 Like

Awesome! Good to know. Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me.

Yes, there are a ton of atheists/agnostics that attend AA and work the steps. There’s a chapter in the big book called We Agnostics

1 Like

I am atheist and get a lot out of A.A. I find it helpful to have a group of people i can call if things are going crazy. I want to look into that quad A stuff as well it looks interesting.

Yea no problem. I went to my first quadA on Sunday without knowing it was. I didn’t get much out of it. But thats just me and it might be different at another meeting. I might try it again eventually.

1 Like

I’m an atheist AAer. I think of my higher power as the spirit of the universe. I find it puts things, or people in my path when I need them. A bird in the garden, a beautiful flower, a kind word from a stranger. Things that make me stop and reconnect. Might sound a bit hippy but it works for me! :sunflower:

6 Likes

Initially I didn’t like the god thing, then I didn’t like the ‘as you understand him’ . Why was it a him? ! Then I thought what the hell, this is doing me some good so I’ll roll with it! !

1 Like

Awww you are so sweet and also I think its a fantastic and refreshing way to see it , I love it !! . A great example for non-religious people who still want to attend AA meetings.

Hi @Tifflb33. I’m an atheist (was raised catholic) and attend two different meetings in my area. I really enjoy both of them and most of the people are just great. The god talk is pretty minimal - maybe because I live in the northeast costal-city bubble :grin:. One ends with saying the “our father”, but I just say it to go through the motions. The “serenity prayer”, is really not a prayer, and is probably one of the most true statements in history!

The God Talk turns off a lot of people, even the people that believe in a Divine being. I think we don’t need to find the “God”. But when I realized that I can’t stop drinking on my own I had to find some type of power greater than me to help me stay sober. The collective power of the group is very powerful. I think I found that whether I believe it or not when I take the action the program suggest my life gets better. I didn’t believe that simply asking for help every morning to stay sober was going to take away the craving of drinking, but it has. There a lot of people that are atheist and agnostic that’s still do this thing successful. Just take the action and know it works

I also am an athiest. I’ve attended a few aa meetings and just don’t pray. I see the higher power as the community. No one has a problem with it and I’ve even had people notice and tell me I’m still welcome. Having said that, I still have some reservations about aa and am going to try smart recovery also.

1 Like

That chapter is insulting to an agnostic or atheist.

1 Like

Good option for the freethinkers and no misogyny. More PC.

1 Like

I disagree. It’s only insulting to people that are offended by everything. The whole point of AA is to get and stay sober, regardless of what your beliefs are or how you go about it. Honesty, Open-mindedness, Willingness

6 Likes

Agreed, I do not follow or believe in any religion and AA does not tell me what God to believe in, I use my own independently formed understanding. Your higher power is what ever you want it to be. Power/energy exists we can’t deny that, it’s scientifically proven.

I wonder if some AA groups push a Christian/other faith agenda as well? If so that would go against the teaching.

2 Likes