AA meetings?

How many of you guys go to meetings? Why/why not? How do you locate one?

I go to meetings and chair one meeting weekly. I get a lot out of them because i can hear other people’s stories and how they are dealing with their issues. Some meetings are not always a winner for me but some days i hear everything i needed to hear. Its wild how similar your story can be to somebody else’s. its nice to know there are other people out there who are going through the same issues as you and me. BUT AA is definatly not for some people. You should try one out yourself before you let anyone tell you if you should or should not go to them regularly. There are people on this forum who have not used AA at all during their recovery. @Charlesfreck and @ProfessorOak are two that come to mind. My opnion is that you should give meetings a couple tries, and if its not for you then you can make that decision for yourself. They are very easy to locate, a simple “AA meetings near me” in google should do the trick. There are also other types of recovery groups out there, such as SMART recovery, celebrate recovery and Quad A (AA for atheists and agnostics).
When i first started i went to a bunch of different AA meetings in different cities and i even tried an Athiest AA meeting. I found what recovery path i needed to go down by trying out everything i could in order to give myself the best shot at long term recovery.
Hope this helps

8 Likes

I go to meetings! Everyday! I’m still in early recovery. 6 days sober. I feel like its what I need but not everyone is the same. Some peeps go once a week, some go everyday, some don’t go at all and use online forums like this one. It’s all up to what you want to do. I got a sponsor yesterday! Some people don’t have sponsors. I like the connection of the meetings. But I like the people here too. Everything keeps me grounded. But that’s me.
Hope this helps!! :heart::heart::heart:

10 Likes

AA meeting guy here too . There is an app who locates i belive . Or ask hospitals , psycick . Good luck of finding one . Keep comming back because that works

2 Likes

I go to meetings and I love them. Lots of laughter, hope and experience. I don’t relate to everything but I always look for the similarities and not the differences. I feel it’s a good design for living and growing, it’s not about perfection it’s about progress day by day. You don’t have to be religious, just open minded. It’s spiritual not religious.

As someone mentioned, simple google search would net many results. Or find an intergroup office and call and they’ll point you in the right direction or even come to you and get you type of deal.

4 Likes

Congrats of finding a sponsor :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Despite being the youngest in all of the meetings, I’ve never found a group of people where I fit in so well! I was hesitant at first because I’m really shy and not the most religious but I love it.

(-ă…‚-)/ :heart: :heart: :heart:

7 Likes

Thank you!!! I’m super excited about it!

2 Likes

I’m usually the youngest too! One time I was the only girl among like 12 guys?

3 Likes

So @Steve92 pretty much summed up everything I would say. He’s good like that lol. I do love meetings though and I usually hit at least two a day. Though the disease is deadly serious it’s great to be around a bunch of people who understand and can make jokes about it. We are not a glum lot.

You can usually find a meeting list online but if you can’t let me know and I can find you the number for the regional office.

3 Likes

Group I like attending is full of seniors and retirees lol. Many of them with more sobriety than my time here on Earth.

I always listen to the old timers otherwise I won’t ever be an old timer myself.

9 Likes

I don’t go, and the reasoning behind it comes from a long line of relapses and using it as anything but what it was intended for. Being sober over a year now, I see myself working the steps more through church and my bible study group than anywhere else.

2 Likes

What do u got to loose? Its a great change to stay sober . I do recommend it 1000% just be openminded best of luck :slight_smile::slight_smile:

3 Likes

I still go after 31 years kept me sober , we all need a foundation and a good network for those times when we need support eye to eye contact ,and make new sober friends , meetings are not for everyone what ever keeps you sober then use it

5 Likes

31 years Wow so inspirering and big congrats on that .Clearly it Does work as long as willingness is there :clap::clap::muscle::muscle::muscle: whatever it takes oh yes !!

1 Like

I have recently started to go to meetings. It’s hard to explain, but it gives me encouragement and motivation. It shows me there are other people out there achieving what I want. X

3 Likes

I go to NA meetings one or twice a month.
I would like to go more but I find it hard to talk in face to face interactions upon the subject of my addictions and what not.

2 Likes

I can totally relate to this :slight_smile: i love my homegroup . It gives me serenity and calm

2 Likes