AA with a support person

I’m having trouble actually making it to an aa meeting. Every Tuesday I say I’ll go, but they are in the evenings and that’s my biggest anxiety time, so I chicken out.

Is it a good idea / acceptable to take a s/o to a meeting?

Also, do I HAVE to talk when I go?

@Beechasebee

Hey there. I know the UK meetings well. Not sure if they differ across the world though but if you want to take support with you into a meeting, then the meeting has to be labelled as OPEN.

Majority of meetings are CLOSED and only open to Alcoholics and those who have a desire to stop drinking.

If you’ve got someone to drive you there and wait for you then do that. I was the same on my first meeting and my sister waited in the car for me. It helped having that person take me there

Once you get in, you will be looked after as people will ask if you are new. After that, you will be made more than welcome and supported.

You can do this. I promise you. It’s a daunting step but a step in the right direction

2 Likes

Yes you can take someone with you for support and no you don’t have to say anything, if they come to you just say I’ll pass today thanks.

Try to talk to a few people in the room if you are able. Listen to what they have to say and go back a good few times before coming to any conclusions.

I hope it clicks for you and your anxiety will soon be a thing of the past.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes