AA yes or no

I know, I was making a joke lol

I do not need AA, as I am a recovering addict, addicted to Oxycodone, now 65 days clean without a program, Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m out of the water, but Iā€™ve made it this far,and Iā€™m feeling better, so I donā€™t see the problem with other ways of doing sobriety. Iā€™ve noticed that when people say even the slightest opposing thing about AA, people that attend AA go into full defensive mode, Iā€™m not against AA or NA, like I said in all my other comments

1 Like

Okay if you watch my posts Iā€™m the first person to recommend all the programs I have seen people share here often. Iā€™ll list them again just for clarity. AA/NA/CA. SMART and Women for Sobriety.

1 Like

And Iā€™m not interested in them, that doesnā€™t mean I think they are bad, I have bad social anxiety, as well as really bad self worth problems, that would be a very bad anxiety filled environment for me, so I use this forum as a way to meet with people with my own control of how anonymous I want to be

1 Like

I want to go back to school and finish college,but i wont (not a physical school at least) because i have bad social anxiety, it freaks me out

Can I ask what you are doing to overcome your social anxiety? I had quite severe anxiety issues and now they have evaporated.

Working through my program was what helped me release those anxieties. Iā€™m more confident now than I have ever been in my life. It would be good for you to find a way to overcome them as it could help you achieve your ambitions.

2 Likes

I was coming off a nasty heroin habit and had crippling anxiety for the first few months of sobriety. I have no idea if it was there before I started using bc I started using so young, but it went away with time once I got clean.

1 Like

I would love to be able to overcome it, right now Iā€™m taking Kratom, which I use to overcome my oxycodone addiction, it helps with withdrawal, at the same time it calms my anxiety, but I do not use it everyday, and I certainly do not plan to take it long term, I know lots about Kratom, I weighed the risks to the benefits in my life, and the benefits outweigh the risks for me short term, and I say all this because as soon as I mention something Iā€™m using to help me people chime in and tell me that I havenā€™t quit, Iā€™m still an addict (duh! Iā€™m only 65 days clean from oxycodone, Iā€™m not magically cured! This is not directed at anyone specific)

Itā€™s easy to get almost all if not all of your schooling online so you should pursue that! Iā€™m not trying to tell everyone on here that meetings are the solution. I only share my life experiences. Yes I get a lot from physical meetings. But not once will I tell you my way is the only way. Or even the best, it just happens to be the only way Iā€™ve got here.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had anxiety and insomnia before my addiction even started :frowning: I know the drugs didnā€™t help of course,but I need to do something to ease it, I was thinking of trying meditation, even if itā€™s 10min a night I heard it has many benefits!

And you are noble for sharing your experiences, even if it only helps one person, thatā€™s amazing, keep doing what your doing and letting everyone know your success story! If you havenā€™t noticed I kind of have a hot head and when I feel like Iā€™m back up against a wall I get defensive, so if Iā€™ve said anything to offend you or have any Ill will towards you, I apologize

2 Likes

Meditation definitely helps. Thereā€™s a bunch of different types you can find with a simple Google search. I also have learned a few from various rehabs that I like. My sponsor suggested I meditate in place of prayer until I was ready to move on to that. Now I do both. My meditation time is when I ride my bike.

2 Likes

Really? I thought meditation required you to be quiet with your legs folded?( thatā€™s how naive I am to meditation)

The anxiety and insomnia perhaps lead to your addiction as you were seeking a self medicating route perhaps without realising it. Iā€™m not experienced in oxycodon/opiate addiction so I donā€™t really know much about Kratom etc but if itā€™s helping you then great.

Dealing with the anxiety will really help you in the long term though so make sure you focus on that too.

Do you meditate? I found meditation a great help personally, it takes a while to get used to it and some discipline but perhaps itā€™s worth a shot. I still meditate regularly and itā€™s been an integral part of me getting to where I am today.

Keep moving forward.

Thatā€™s just one type, but generally speaking itā€™s any process that allows you to clear your mind off negative thoughts. Guided meditation is really cool and you can find it on YouTube. Recovery is literally my life at this point so if thereā€™s something that might help you best believe Iā€™m checking it out. I will try and share what I know and if not Iā€™m more than happy to go find out.

2 Likes

I self medicate my insomnia with cannabis. Itā€™s helped me for years, I chose to take morphine one day randomly in 2014, and it was downhill from there with the opiates, I wasnā€™t seeking other remedies for my insomnia or anxiety, though that could make sense as to why some people experiment with different drugs, my addiction started with one stupid decisionā€¦and that decision cost me ā€¦A LOTā€¦

And Iā€™ve had anxiety since before I smoked weed too, it helps when I smoke ,but I canā€™t be smoking 24/7, id be unproductive as anything

P.s. my phones keyboard sucks, sorry for all the edits

Iā€™ll definitely have to check out some guided meditation on YouTube!

1 Like

Yes! Atheist AA guy here.

4 Likes

AA saved my life way before some of you guys were born at that time there wasnt anywere else to go for help, today there are -plenty of programs out there to help but im a old timer ill stick to AA wish anyone well who can stay sober with or without AA ,

4 Likes

I attend meetings because the social contact is encouraging and supportive and a safe place to share your feelings. I donā€™t do the steps because they donā€™t work, except through placebo effect. Why would they? This was created in 1939 by two guys who know nothing about brain chemistry or psychology, based upon an earlier version run by a hellfire&brimstone type church.
Keep coming back! It works if you expect it to!

4 Likes