AA yes or no

@DryIn785. Good job. You just offended a whole bunch of people on this site. Have a nice day.

6 Likes

I think what you mean is they donā€™t work for you. Thereā€™s more to the steps than just not drinking. Itā€™s about cleaning up your past, becoming a better person and learning to be of value to others.

5 Likes

Hear hear.

2 Likes

I go to AA meetings. They have truely saved my life and have helped me stay soberā€¦ When i got here and now, 14 months later, i still need help to stay sober. Meeting new sober people is great and they can teach you how to live life sober along the way.

4 Likes

No joke. Itā€™s the best thing thatā€™s ever happened to me!

3 Likes

For me as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I tried without but I need AA and the steps to keep me accountable and remind me of my alcoholism. I donā€™t agree with everything in the book or love every meeting I go to but I usually get something useful or positive from at least one person. Thatā€™s a bonus to me!

3 Likes

No AA for me, Iā€™m not the sort of person that others would want to have around.
Also, having attended a couple of ā€œFriends of Billā€ meetings while on a cruise a while ago, I found the religious undertones to be somewhat off-putting.
Iā€™m sure that it works for a lot of people, so thatā€™s a good thing, but itā€™s just not for me.
I found one of the books written by Alan Carr to have been very helpful ; Iā€™m on day 112, and doing all right on my own.
Iā€™m always on my own anyway, so I guess that Iā€™m used to it.

1 Like

And me. Such a fantastic meeting tonight, I love my group, they are such wonderful lovely people.

4 Likes

If you want to be sober, they will be delighted to have you around. Many meetings are different, thereā€™s no preaching or forcing God on anyone in my group, itā€™s why I love it so much.

We discussed it tonight actually and referred to ā€œWe agnosticsā€ AA taught in the proper way encourages you to come to find your own beliefs and thatā€™s what that chapter is about. No one should tell you what you should believe in.

4 Likes

Love it, thanks for sharing that.

1 Like

As an AA member I will say that I would love to have you at a meeting and would love to go get coffee with you afterwards. Then I would love to go with you to a meeting the next day. I would love for you to join my home group. I would love to introduce you to my sponsor and other people in the fellowship. I have yet to see the AA police (not actually a thing) tell anyone not to come back. In fact you would be the most important person at the meeting.

5 Likes

The words ā€œprideā€ and ā€œmeā€ donā€™t belong in the same sentence.
But yes, itā€™s going all right. Another week, and I shall have hit 4 monthsā€¦

1 Like

Weā€™ve had some people who have issues with 13th steeping and other inappropriate behavior who were asked to find different meetings, but not kicked out. Iā€™ve also seen a few fights now and those people are welcomed back. Thereā€™s also quite a few of us who have shown up high and drunk and even people who have gotten high at meetings who are told to come back. I suppose if you work really hard at it you can get kicked out, but it would have to be voted on at a group conscience meeting

Well Iā€™m sure @anon27700620 would be welcome lol. He seems nice enough to me.

1 Like

At least I donā€™t have to worry about THATā€¦

So i donā€™t aa but have managed to reach 400 days as of today.I think the important thing is to find any way you can to be successful. For some itā€™s aa. Some itā€™s smart recovery. For some itā€™s nothing. Iā€™ve only ever used this app, forum, family and friends.
Thereā€™s no absolute perfect program to do to get and stay sober. We all work the program that we think is best for us as individuals.
Personally, i donā€™t think Iā€™m powerless to alcohol. I have all of the power over the first drink. I only have to beat that 1 drink everyday by not having it. I also know that 2 through infinity Iā€™ll lose. But i can beat the first 1 everyday and that is empowering.
Just find the way that works best for you. Best of luck in your journey.

4 Likes

Whatever that works for you as long as u dont reach out for the glass/ bottle or other substance . Just be willing

Congrats of 400 awesome .keep it up :muscle::muscle::muscle:

1 Like

Also known as the rehab romance. Sayings include ā€œtwo dead batteries canā€™t start a carā€ and ā€œtwo Sickies donā€™t make a wellieā€

2 Likes