AA yes or no

I tend to feel the same way. I don’t feel powerless over the first drink and I am comfortable with “I’m never going to drink again. I just can’t.” That said, I’m very strongly considering going to a meeting for the first time simply because I need to meet people and have more (or any) face to face support.

Whatever works for ANYONE is GREAT!

3 Likes

In my opinion it’s the first drink that would potentially cause me to become powerless. I feel like I have power and control over myself now, but if I ever do lift a drink it could and likely will evaporate, cause my cravings to kick in and trigger the mental obsession and insanity.

Ever woke up from a blackout not knowing what you’d done? If ever there was proof required to convince me I was powerless over alcohol when it entered my system, that is all I need. I never ever intended to blackout, but I did. My sane mind has no idea what I was up to, thankfully I came out of the few I have had relatively unscathed, but I was most certainly powerless back then.

That is my personal view and it works for me. I have regained power over my life through channeling my higher power so I don’t get caught up in the powerless thing, it breaks it down simply for me to get comfortable with it whereas I think a lot of people over complicate it in their head.

4 Likes

As soon as I swallow one drink, then I become powerless. No doubt about it! And even if it turned out to be not true… well, hopefully I’ll never know. As long as I believe the above statement I should have a really good chance of never drinking again. Which I’m totally okay with! Is that weird?

2 Likes

No, I am totally ok with it too. I just hope I realise that ambition. A life without alcohol is one of the most exciting things I can imagine.

2 Likes

I know you haven’t gone to AA but it might be worth reading the Doctors Opinion in the big book. It was a light bulb moment for me. I researched the science which came after it with the help of my sponsor and suddenly the cravings and mental obsession all made sense.

There have been many medical studies since which detail an alcoholics inability to break down acetone as quickly as normal drinkers, the resulting symptoms are cravings, coupled with a mental obsession towards alcohol.

AA calls it an allergy and these are the symptoms. I have other allergies too, so I am comfortable with this theory. Some people aren’t but it’s not up to them to decide that for me and up to today I am 305 days sober with this knowledge.

6 Likes

As soon as I get some money and debt shifted around I plan on buying the Big Book. Even if I never go I am curious about a lot of what’s in it. Probably the people’s stories the most, but I will never turn away the chance to learn something, especially about sobriety and recovery. The Smart Recovery Handbook is really amazing as well, if anyone feels the same about exploring different ways. I haven’t read a ton of it because I’m struggling with the brain fog really bad, but the things I’ve picked out are really interesting.

Do you have the audible app on your android/iphone? You may have to have amazon prime. But you can download the book and listen to it for 1 credit!

1 Like

There are a few in my neighborhood. I will have to stop by this week. Thanks! Haha, I think you know how I feel about physical copies.

Thanks for the recommendation @MoBama!

I uploaded a picture of the built in bookshelves and admitted to my one vanity. Haha, I should take another picture now that I’ve put all the books I had laying around up. I’ve got almost four other bookshelves just like it. I need to stop spending money on books (or in general really) and buy some more shelves.

Why is the third edition the best? Just curious.

Exactly. I assume meetings have a great number of benefits, especially social if your world has changed getting sober. I was very fortunate that my social life and friends didn’t change. Most of that is my job as a golf pro, so it’s a very building relationships job and I’m an above average player, so I always have somebody trying to get me to play(if you’re quiet you can hear me tooting my horn). The people I drank with I still see and spend time with daily. I know this made my life easier. I hope you find what you’re looking for out there and Good luck on your journey.

1 Like

At two meetings I go to, there are free copies of the soft cover Big Book at every meeting.

1 Like

Can I ask, what are your reasons that AA is not right for you? I am going to my first meeting Wednesday night, and I’m very curious. I’m sorry if you already answered. I searched your threads a bit, but didn’t see answers to my questions. @Parker85

By going to AA you are not telling yourself or giving up on the fact that you can’t do it on your own the problem is that sometimes you need help from other people I just sitting there not even having to talk to anybody but listening to the stories is enough for you to get the courage to let all of that stuff out because the one thing that all of us alcoholics have in common is that we have ridiculous stories and much like any other emotions and feelings if we don’t let them out and they start coming out in other ways for us usually it’s alcoholism and drug abuse. I say give it a try man because I hated the fact that I felt that I couldn’t do things on my own but ever since I started going I could tell you that it has helped me tenfold

3 Likes

I have 51 days if sobriety. I attended AA meetings almost every day for 2 weeks. Now I go 3x ea week and plan to cut back to 2. I’m doing great with this schedule, however I have a wonderful, caring support system as well who keep me accountable. Im reading the big AA book as well as an amazing book called “The Miracle Morning” by Hal Elrod. This book is helping me focus on bettering my life and is truly the best self help book I’ve ever read! AA is a great program and for some people it is imperative they attend every day. I’ve met several who attend 2 meetings each day. For me, the meetings sometimes bring me down, but not giving them up completely. For me, I have other resources available as well.

I’m one of those two a dayers. All I know is it works for me. But I’m not qualified to tell anyone else how to recover.

1 Like

Good job! We have to do what ever it takes to stay sober.

Think AA taught me was that i wasnt alone and it gave me the chance to meet other people who suffer and as time went bye i could help others in 12 step work taking people to meetings visiting prisons and hospitals spreading the word of my experience thats all i have to give it got me to give away what i was giving by going to meetings getting a sponsor practicing the steps in my life ,people who know make it alot easier than white knuckle soberiety there is alot of other programs now out there and if it keeps you sober then thats good wish you well

2 Likes

AA is right for me. I’m only a month in, but I can tell a year from now it’ll be something I wish I found years ago. It’s much more than just stopping alcohol and addictions. You can do it alone, great. However, you’re missing a chance to fix the way you socially interact, going from addict to sober. It’s a lot more than you think. If you’re against the idea of God… okay. Plenty in my group are that way. Suck it up and just try a few meetings. The point of AA is sobriety, not converting anyone.

5 Likes