Absolutely heartbroken

My partner of 10 years told me on Friday night that I’m his family, his best friend, and his favorite person, but that he’s felt a shift in his sexuality and he’s no longer in love with me. I feel shattered. I’ve managed to maintain my sobriety through this so far, knowing that drinking would just give me a second problem to deal with.
I don’t know why I’m sharing here, I think I’m just looking for support wherever I can find it.
He’s the only person I’ve ever thought about growing old with, we’ve seen each other through every imaginable challenge, I never thought there would be a day where I had to imagine a future without him as my partner. We’ve agreed to move forward with day to day life looking the same for now, living as roommates and best friends, but both have the opportunity to see what else is out there.
I want it to feel like enough, but my heart hurts so much.

11 Likes

I dont have any words of wisdom but hugs to you my friend. I’m glad it’s not a violent or chaotic/turbulent situation for you right now but I totally know how hard that is. My heart is with you and I’m proud of you for knowing drinking isn’t the answer. Come here and talk to us any time love! You ARE enough and better suited things are coming, hugs again!

3 Likes

Well…there is a future. I know, because I have been in the same situation. I replaced the heart that was ripped out of my chest with booze. I was already a firm alcoholic at that point, so it seemed the logical choice. Hindsight, i wish i would have never picked up the bottle.

Let yourself grieve, know that your partners choices have nothing to do with you as a person…and maybe see a counselor. There is a future for you.

5 Likes

Im feeling your pain.my hearts thumping in my chest. Its so lonely. Sorry x

2 Likes

This kind of situation is actually pretty ideal, for now. I have no family, and he has been my family for 10 years. I’m actually finding some comfort in not having my whole living situation and added financial insecurity to deal with on top of the grief. This may not be what I need long term, but for now it feels a little helpful.

4 Likes

I am so sorry for what you’re going through. 10 years is a long time with someone. I can’t even fathom the pain. I have been with my girlfriend for 2.5 years, and the idea of losing her is one of the worst things I can imagine.

I wish I had advice to offer, but I can only lend my support and sympathy. I am very proud of you for staying sober through something so difficult, and good on you for recognizing that drinking would only present additional problems.

All the best

2 Likes

So, I can relate to this. I haven’t talked about it yet though, but my girlfriend (pregnant) just told me she is gay. Not a great situation to be sure. We are still very much in love. But physically it isn’t going to work. We have no idea what the future holds and that’s ok. There’s not much I can do about it anyway. It hurts, but it’s a pretty terrible reason to drink. We are working through it the best we can. Bc as hard as it is for me, it’s worse for her.

Hit s meeting and bring up acceptance. It will help.

11 Likes

Sending love to @WesCohen and @Englishd and everyone else dealing with challenges and changes in intimate relationships.

I’ve been trying to think about relationships coming to an end as a natural and healthy part of personal growth and progress. I try to think about how we are all always changing and developing and that grief is a natural part of that. I know it seems impossible to think like that right now, so I’ll just keep sending :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:.

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m okay. I have my higher power and AA so I’m equipped for moments just like this. It’s part of God’s plan so I’ll be taken care of. Thank you though. Support always helps.

10 Likes