Ache in liver area

I relapsed yet again. I was stupid and tried to drink in moderation (2-3 hard sodas about 3 times a week). This was after about a year and a half of excessive drinking. Last Sunday I started to get a dull ache in my upper right abdomen and now I am expecting the worst. I’m so worried right now. I’ve really tried to be healthy with eat foods that support liver health and exercising a lot but I fucked up. Hoping I’m not too far gone when I go see my dr.

I’m glad you are going to see your doctor. I am not a doctor, but I had some liver issues when I tried to get sober before. High enzymes or some such thing. I know that after a period of sobriety my levels returned to their normal levels.

1 Like

I had the dull ache for the last two years of my drinking career on and off and pretty much consistently for the last six months (I drank daily for ten years) I was also terrified I’d done some lasting damage and was scared to get my bloods done but I had to as I wanted to go on Antabuse. When my results came back my GGT was high (one of the liver enzymes) this enzyme is often high in excessive drinkers and more indicates the very beginning of liver damage and nothing too disastrous, although it will lead to more permanent damage if you keep drinking. This is totally reversible and all my other enzymes were fine, they are now all totally normal.
Even if there is damage it likely won’t be as bad as you imagine and getting it monitored is far better than not knowing. I’m really glad your doing the right thing and going to your Gp

3 Likes

Good to see your doctor. Good news is the liver has amazing regenerative capabilities.

1 Like

I know pain in that area is frightening but it doesnt have to be the liver, could be gall bladder, kidney stones, diverticulosis, gas…a whole bunch of possibilities. Still get it checked though you’ll put your mind at ease…

Yeah, could even be something not related to the drinking. In recovery it’s easy to put it all down to the drink. Best to just ask the doc, be honest about the past, and relax sober till then. It’s all you can do today.

Don’t fret yet. Could just be gas. :wink:

Had the same thing turned out to be stomach acid. Try not to worry to much, you’re doing the right thing going to docs.