Action for Happiness - Meaningful May

I will do this. Thank you.

1 Like

DAY 21

Ask a colleague or loved one what matters most to them in life.

2 Likes

DAY 23

Support a cause that stands for something you believe in

Hmmm… Today one of my colleagues is doing a collection for the local food bank. It’s so sad that they are needed but important that they exist to help people get through those difficult times.

1 Like

DAY 23

Reflect on what makes you feel really valued and appreciated.

This is a good one for me at the moment. I know I have some issues with feeling undervalued at work but I don’t really know what I actually want from them. It would probably be useful to work that out!

1 Like

Sorry I missed this @siand - I wasn’t in a good place yesterday but the day before I did do my volunteering so I am going to argue that I paid forward! :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes this is a good one for me too. I’ve been feeling a sense of resentment, of unknown origin so I’m going to reflect on this as I think the two are connected. Thanks for this @siand :+1:t2:

1 Like

Paying forward is absolutely acceptable! What volunteering do you do?

Sounds like you’re feeling a bit better today which is brilliant. I know the feeling of just needing to retreat sometimes. But don’t forget you can always reach out here!

1 Like

Thanks @siand :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. It’s related to penal reform.

1 Like

Having done some reflection I think the main thing going on at work is I just don’t know what the expectations are of me. I suppose that’s less about feeling valued and more about knowing what I’m doing is valuable, but that’s important to me too. Trying to get some clarity will be easier said than done but there’s been some big changes recently so will wait for the dust to settle and see what happens.

2 Likes

DAY 24

Notice all the amazing wonders in the world around you today.

This is what I need at the moment. Out of my head and looking for all the good around me.

3 Likes

Okay, asking the obnoxiously obvious question: Have you asked?

1 Like

I think that can do us all a bit of good. I’ll spend some time being present and part of the world around me today.

1 Like

I thought I had. In my appraisal I said I find it difficult to know where my role fits in. I thought I had an answer but it was suitably vague enough that it makes much less sense now. I was also told some things that have not materialised. There is going to be a new job created (my line manager has been promoted so to fill that gap) but it will probably look a bit different. Waiting to see what happens with that and then a more direct approach will be in order I think. The problem is my line manager is much more of a big picture than a details person, so can be quite hard to pin down. What seems to work best is if I go with a proposal which they can pick out the bits they don’t like :joy:

It’s one of those really small organisations that has grown organically and it’s unbelievably difficult to unpick what should be the simplest things!

1 Like

:rofl: Managing upwards ftw. Maybe there’ll be better luck with new line management?

1 Like

That’s what I’m hoping for! :crossed_fingers:

It’s a really nice place to work and a lovely team, just not always that clear. My anxiety brain likes to know exactly what is happening at all times. I am working on staying in my lane but at the moment I’m kind of making up my own lane markings!

1 Like

Bats!!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

DAY 25

Find out how to get involved in a local group in your community.

I have a few options here. There is a Buddhist temple near me and I would like to get involved in their meditation sessions and find out more about them more generally. The soup kitchen I help at is also starting a walking group which sounds interesting

I might try and step back from the soup kitchen itself, although I haven’t been for a few weeks so I’ll see how it goes tonight. I am just finding that continually being confronted with people in active addiction is becoming difficult to deal with. It makes me sad and angry and a bit worn down. The walking group is for people in active recovery so it might be a bit more positive. Plus I need to be doing more walking training for the peak district challenge and it would be good to combine some commitments, rather than keeping taking on lots of separate things.

1 Like

Ohhh don’t get me started! Bats are my jam! :star_struck:

7 Likes

image Wakey Wakey @siand :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m awake… :joy:

giphy%20(3)

2 Likes