Addiction/ Growth / Wellbeing

Thanks Flo! And yes, so true! Children deserve as much love and affection as possible. They deserve to know they are safe and that they belong. We do too! :two_hearts:

1 Like

Waking up without a hangover for 732 days in a row :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: feels good! Certainly don’t miss those awful, shitty wakeups where I was full of shame and regret and feeling sick that’s for sure! I’m grateful I woke up feeling fresh and ready for a great day today. #soberlife #bestlife :clap:

3 Likes

That is amazing! Congrats to you!

1 Like

Sober days are usually good days! They’re better days than the ones when it was all drinking and regret anyway.
Experiences feel more rewarding now and I feel like I’ve been given a reverence for life. #soberthoughts :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just listened to this AWESOME podcast on addiction. Definitely recommend it. I learnt a lot and it covers all types of addiction. So much great insight and expertise. Love a bit of Oprah.

Have a listen and let me know what you think!

If the link doesn’t work, it’s on Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations podcast and the episode is called Gary Zukav On Temptation.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

2 Likes

If you’re new to sobriety this is a great podcast to listen to :blush: (also if you’re seasoned as well, it’s helped me learn some at 783 days! We never really stop learning, understanding & growing, I guess. That’s the beauty of life.

1 Like

Another really amazing podcast on addiction! I listened to this today and wow, what a great conversation to hear. Two neuroscientists talking about it, with lots of anecdotal stories and reference to 12 step recovery and other valuable insights and understanding into a person suffering the disease of addiction.
Its a long one but very well worth your time. Let me know if you decide to listen, I’d love to hear any comments or feedback you might have :slightly_smiling_face:

Spotify

If the link doesn’t work, it’s on the Huberman Lab Podcast. The episode called: Dr Anna Lembke - Understanding and Treating Addiction.

Went to a party with friends a few nights ago. Everyone was drinking, other than me. I joined in on the party tho and I had a good time, I laughed, I danced and I watched as the others became intoxicated. I watched some inconsiderate behaviour from a friend that was due to alcohol. It got late, and I left, driving myself home, feeling good about a fun night had and my sobriety; and also thinking about the drunken behaviours I was witness to. One friend was quite drunk, he threw up and passed out. The next morning, I woke up on a high. I felt SO good - no hangover, no regret. Full memory of the events of the night. A decent sleep. I saw two of my friends the next morning… They came in looking quite worse for wear. Low energy. Low mood. I watched as they kinda wasted the day. One friend didn’t go to work the following day, needing the extra day of recovery. It’s amazing to see the comparison of a drinking and a non-drinking experience. I felt like I received some confirmation on my ‘good decision making’ :slightly_smiling_face:

**sober life = my best life, for sure! ** :100::raised_hands:

1 Like

Some interesting scientific research relating to alcoholism, the brain and developing dependency …for any nerds like myself who might be interested :sweat_smile:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh314/310-339.htm

I love learning and understanding more. This thread is open to anyone who’d like to share the things they learn, read, come to understand about AUD, addiction or recovery.

Revisiting this thread. I like re-reading and re-learning; helps the WHY and HOW stay fresh and accessible.

1 Like

It is a great thread!! Read some of Gary Zukav’s work years ago in my transpersonal psychology courses. Took decades for the fruit to bloom…but the seeds were planted…grateful for that. Thanks for bringing back!!

2 Likes