Advice for learning to trust people

I think this is fairly common for addicts and I’m still trying to figure out the best way to try and practice working on it - since I was a kid I have this feeling that people are out to get me. I think it really stems from being bullied at a young age but I’m realizing that even now as an adult it shapes the way I view the world and other people.
I had nearly 4 months sober and then I relapsed. I’m back up to almost 10 days sober now and there are difficult moments. I keep thinking about what could have prevented me from drinking again and I think the answer was probably to talk to someone. Which begs the question: why didn’t I do that? I knew that what I was thinking about doing was probably a really bad idea and that ideally I’d have someone to talk me out of it. But I didn’t do that. I went ahead and drank and basically told myself “guess I’ll learn this the hard way.” The only thing I can think of for why I didn’t feel like talking to someone that day is that I can’t seem to trust people. I don’t have confidence that other people will be able to help and I fear that if I reach out for help and don’t find what people say helpful then I’ll end up feeling worse.
Posing this question to strangers on the internet is much less scary than trying to do it with a person in real life, so I figure it’s worth a try.
Thanks for reading this and have a good day

2 Likes

You have found your tribe… :blush: People here get this… :100::100::100:

3 Likes

Face to face meetings will make it easier plenty of people there been were you have wish you well

2 Likes

Caring,senserer,honest community,keep sharing and reaching out.xxcongratulations on your progress keep on keeping on my friend

2 Likes

If you do want to ask an irl person cause they matter to you. You might want to specify what you ask for.
And create a context for your question helps surely.

“I want to pick your brain so I can take what you say in consideration.”

What do you think?
Could be
What do you suggest I do?

The reply will be much more directed at the action. Other then they just start speaking there mind.

Dunno… Might help :pray:t2:

1 Like

That is great advice. Thank you!

2 Likes