Advice for someone new

4 days in and I find myself having trouble just focusing on 1 day at a time. I find the idea to be sober forever to be overwhelming. Any advice?

6 Likes

Welcome @Dhue
One day at a time is all we really have. Take care of each day as it comes.
Make use of all the great info and advice here. Check in daily, or more.
We’re glad you are here!!

2 Likes

Hey @Dhue…I can relate all too well to the forever struggle! I’m also 4 days in - I have zero advice, but I want you to know you’re not alone :heartbeat:

3 Likes

Try reading Chapter 3 of the book below. It really helps to focus on today and the things you can deal with today. I can stay sober today. I can’t stay sober tomorrow, today.

For me, I have honestly never said I am never drinking again. All I know is for now, I am not drinking. Absolutes lead my brain into bad thinking. Keep at it. You won’t regret it.

http://aaposigintergrouptrinidad.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/LivingSober.pdf

5 Likes

Welcome @Dhue! I will have a week in a couple of hours. This is a great place for advice or to bend someone’s ear. There’s a bunch of great folks here who have been in your shoes. Come read, post and be part of this great community.

I go to a class/therepy 2x a week for 2hrs each of those days. I find it very helpful. You can learn a lot and you can connect and open up with others maybe in ways you haven’t been able to in a long time. Some days it’s simply a distraction for a couple hours whenyou’re having a hard day.

@Dhue you’ve already made an amazing first step to come here and ask for advice. :slight_smile:

Do you read? I would recommend reading some books on recovery. One of my favorites is “Hope for Today”, it is a book for Al-Anon members and anyone in recovery.

Just focus on today. :pray::heart: Reach out, find a recovery community, stay active on here, help others, find a new hobby or two, volunteer your time to those less fortunate. Remind yourself why you want to be sober for today.

2 Likes

One day at a time. Dont think about forever. Think about today. Keep busy. Volunteer work is awesome. It got me out of my head and focused on others.

You made day 4. You can make day 5!

3 Likes

Last year, on 19th August, I quit drinking. I have not touched a drop. I feel amazing. I did it for me and I truly believe that you’ve got this!

5 Likes

i could never follow through with anything if it meant forever - relationships, jobs, sobriety. i don’t have any advice on how to let go of forever and focus on one day at a time. but when i’m having a tough day i just tell myself ‘get through today, that’s it, just today’ and it always works. x

It may sound cliche but take it one day at a time, if that’s too much, take it one hour, one minute at a time. You can get through this. I’ve been sober for 2 years, 4 months and 17 days.

5 Likes

I also have haf questions to myself during my first wk ! Will i really not have a drink , what will people think will i enjoy myself the questions have been endless ! But everytime i go back to why i started this journey & for me it weighs out the questions ! No hangover no feeling ill for days on end & most importantly no upsetting the people i love ! The people who will want to be in my life will be the ones who will understand ! Doubting is im sure part of the process keep checking in , it has helped me massively!

1 Like

You know sometimes I just do one minute or sometimes even just this present moment at a time. I dont have much sober time so I dont know how effective that is. But this present instant at a time helped me a lot. Because the future isnt even real yet, no one knows whats going to happen in 5 seconds. We only have the now and I tell myself I will stay sober now and I want to. The clue is: Its always now.

2 Likes

Nicely said @Rainbow82. You have come a long way even if you don’t realise it.
@Dhue, this says it really. And everyone else has said similar.
Don’t worry about what is to come like the past it can’t be affected by us.
All we can affect is now, today! Be sober today and concentrate on yourself.
Have you seen this yet?

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change
Courage to change the things that I can
And the wisdom to know the difference

1 Like

Thank you all. I actually made this decision while on vacation. Finishing vacation sober was actually easy. This is my first day home and I’m feeling a little off today. I’m shaky, nervous and worried about how the next week is going to go. I do tell myself just get through today. I also have looked into meetings and will be attending one tomorrow night.

3 Likes