Advice for starting A.A

Hi it’s my first time posting and I’m wondering if anyone could share some advice for getting started with the AA program. I previously managed to stay sober for almost 4 months on my own, but cravings started to come back and I relapsed over the holidays. I think AA could be really good for me but I’m kinda scared I won’t go through with it. I figure since I’m feeling pretty willing to try something new at the moment I should try to act on that as quickly as possible before I change my mind. But tomorrow is a holiday so I’m not sure if finding a meeting to try to start the program will be possible. I figure writing this post asking for others’ advice could be a good first step in the right direction since for the first time I’m really feeling serious about trying this program that I’d previously determined wasn’t for me (basically I went to an AA meeting at about 6 weeks sober and thought “I’m too good for this - I don’t need this” but here I am now after a relapse trying to watch that I don’t get arrogant again because I think that’s really where things went wrong). Sorry for the rambly post I’m very tired after a long day of traveling and am only really just now coming to my senses about what happened over the last 5 days. Thanks

3 Likes

@Englishd I believe this is your area

1 Like

I guarantee your that there will be several AA meetings that you can go to tomorrow :+1:

3 Likes

Best advice, grab a seat and actively listen for similarities, stuff you relate too.

Speaker meetings are great for first timers. You don’t have to worry about sharing, just get to listen to a person with some sobriety tell you what it was like then and what it’s like now.

Nothing to lose. Wish you well, AA has made a massive difference in my life.

2 Likes

if you have a kindle, a great book to download tonight is ‘recovery’ by russell brand.

an app i really like is ‘aabigbook (unofficial)’. you can use the audio version in the app, too.

2 Likes

Wow. That was a solid, honest post.
Welcome pal! I’m glad you are here.
You can absolutely find a meeting on a holiday!! Us drunks in AA are open year round. Our alcoholism doesn’t close for holidays so neither do our meetings.
So bust out that google machine and look up a meeting. Maybe where you went before? Any of the clubhouses will most likely be having meetings through the night tonight and in to tomorrow for NYE.
Check it out. You don’t have to do this alone.
I’m gonna tag you in another thread that has some AA basics.

3 Likes

Just show up.

Doesnt matter if you talk, are late, or know whats going on.

Just show up, worst you have to loose is an hour. Surely you used up a lot of those drinking.

I’ll be at a meeting first thing tomorrow morning. My sponsor is picking up his 4 year coin

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for your replies. I found a meeting and went today. The temptation has come up pretty seriously a few times but I’m doing ok keep reminding myself that I went through this before and I got much easier with time. I know if I give in today work will probably be a nightmare tomorrow and there’s a good chance I wouldn’t even be able to enjoy drinking knowing that. Thanks again everyone

7 Likes

That’s a pretty big win for you. Made it through New Year’s Eve.