Advice? I hate AA

So I’m constantly working on my sobriety. I try to read books on it and actually have a degree in substance abuse counseling as ironic as that is…but I hate AA. I don’t believe in God, hate hearing about it, etc. I’ve tried to go to meetings and just end up leaving feeling more annoyed. Anyone else have ideas on extra support that doesn’t involve AA??

9 Likes

This post came up recently:

5 Likes

I’m an AA guy and I firmly believe AA has no monopoly on sobriety. I also don’t believe in a traditional, big G “God”. There’s room for all kinds in my AA.

Aside from that, this thread [Resources for our recovery](Resources for our recovery) has links to all sorts of sobriety programs, books, videos and etc. Blessings on your house :pray:.

10 Likes

You’re right- hate is a strong word, I think my emotions have been getting the best of me lately!

5 Likes

Thank you :heart:

1 Like

Maybe I should keep trying different meetings? Maybe some AA meetings will have a different feel? Thank you!

4 Likes

All AA meetings are different. One of the nice things currently is that so many are on zoom, so it’s possible to search around to find meetings that vibe with you. There are plenty of meetings specifically for athiests/agnostics. I’m an athiest, but have found my way in AA - it has definitely improved my life for the better, and helped me stay sober for 2 years. If I can help you find meetings, do let me know :slight_smile:
That said, there are many other resources and paths listed in the links above. :sunny::revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

Yes, they certainly will. Plenty of agnostics and every imaginable faith (or not) in the meetings I’ve attended. As @SinceIAwoke says, not the big “G” god with a white beard, though the word is still bandied about as a kind of short hand for whatever that thing is. “As you understand it.”

For me, “Life, the universe and everything.”

But as others have said, there are many programs out there. SMART might be more up your alley? Or Dharma Recovery if looking for something more meditative.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, I felt the same exact way about AA for a long time…as in like, 10 years. Maybe not “hate”, but I was certainly sour on it.

Until I found the home group that I am part of now.

Every group is different, every meeting is different. If you keep trying, you may just find one that jives with you. I NEVER thought I would be an active AA-goer. I had over 2 years away from drinking when I stepped foot in there, I was more interested in the community aspect - not because I felt like I was slipping or going to drink. But you now what? It STILL has changed my life for the better. What I have come to understand is that what you take from AA is totally up to you. It’s said in the preamble before every meeting, the only requirement to be a member is a desire to stop drinking. That’s all. Whether or not you wish to do anything else with it is up to you. There are people who go, listen, and leave - and that works for them. Others prefer to get more involved and form connections with fellow members. Some people do the steps, some don’t. Some believe in God, a god (referred to in numerous ways…higher power, etc), and some don’t.

The point is, it’s what you want it to be, it’s what you make it.

And, sure, it could truly be that it’s not for you. I really can’t say!
There are other options as well…this forum helped me get those 2+ years under my belt, and continues to do so. There are also things like SMART recovery, informal groups, etc. Plenty of options.

Just my 2 cents from someone who thought similarly in the past :slight_smile:
Good luck to you!

10 Likes

(And I wonder if @Robketts is still around? He was a pretty consistent SMART-goer.)

2 Likes

Hey, you do you! I do AA. There are some meetings I loath and some I love. Lot of different programs out there. I wasnt going to do AA when I started, but ran out of options. Good luck, if you need help we are here to help.

2 Likes

What encourages me most is that you are willing to try. The biggest block to my sobriety was all those things, including AA that I would not attempt. But when I desperately wanted to stop drinking and I found I could not, I became willing to try anything and use what I could from it.

Meetings are different, and probably the biggest difference I’ve found is geographic - meetings in some areas are lots more tolerant than others. And even in some areas, particular meetings seem to espouse the “true religion” as they see it. So, sure, try some others!

4 Likes

when i first entered the rooms, i was nervous of allowing God or a higher power back into my life… my belief in a higher power came from my uncle who passed away when i was very young. three years old.
my mom, her parents and even my dad thought i looked like my uncle the older i got. my mom recently told me my handwriting is almost exactly like her brothers was. she showed me a letter he wrote and it was wild to me how similar they are!
i’m not saying that AA is the only path i could have taken to realign with my HP (higher power, not harry potter) but it helped me. as i’ve stayed sober over 18 months woop woop! i’ve come to realize that speaking with my uncle saves me. everyday.
speaking with my sponsor and seeing other fellows helps me a ton for the physical aspect but as it is taught in AA, learning to love ourselves is the ultimate success. being connected to other beings, whatever that be, saves our conscious from being lonely which in turn helped me stay away from a drink and then drugs, thus allowing me to be better than yesterday yet working for a better tomorrow.
thank you for letting me rant, and thank you everyone for being here! hugs

6 Likes

I was one who had a hard time believing in anything, a higher power, but going to AA meetings and reading the books helped me get back in touch with my higher power. I give thanks to my meetings and higher power everyday for my sobriety. But i know a lot of people who have a hard time with AA/NA because of their beliefs, so you’re definitely not alone

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of smart or dharma! Thank you for the suggestion!!

3 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts, I really enjoyed reading them. And good for you- 18 months is incredible! Hope I get there!!

1 Like

I have learned a lot about myself through Women For Sobriety (WFS). Ultimately any program can change you should you choose to change. Do you check out any meetings in intherooms? The meetings aren’t all AA & there is a really cool one that I attend that is for women with all kinds of addictions.

3 Likes

Thanks bc I feel quite “broken” like AA works, what the hell is wrong with me?!? Plus the ones I went to pressured me to speak, read “rules” or whatever OUT LOUD to everyone, etc. which was super intimidating and def a turn off. Makes me scared to try again.

If that’s the only experience, definitely try another meeting.

3 Likes

I’ve said, pass, thanks!

4 Likes