Advice needed co-dependancy

Hey guys! I need your advice/support/help. I’m nearly a year sober. There’s been a major drama in my friendship circle which I’ve completely over involved myself in because I’m an ALCOHOLIC (ha ha but not really funny). I didn’t drink but boy did I revert to some terrible emotional behaviours. Who has been to al-anon for co-dependency but is also in AA? My sponsor is sending me to Al-anon and I’m wanting to know more about it (I’m doing it regardless because my sponsor knows best) but I just want to hear if anyone else found, after getting sober, that they became even more addicted to other people’s lives/problems/drama? Ahhhhh god help me, I’m unmanageable even without a drink! :unamused:

2 Likes

Ok, so i am still a dope with linking threads. We did a book group on “codependent no more”. You can search for it. I came to AA through Al-Anon first. Ive read that book twice. It’s been a lifesaver. And definately check out Al-Anon meetings. :two_hearts::+1:

3 Likes

@aircircle Someone just lent me that book. I haven’t picked it up yet but I will now! Thanks for letting us know it was a good one!

1 Like

I have! I just had to remind myself more consciously the first few meetings not to get into my unmanageable behavior regarding substances and stick to my unmanageable behavior in relationships with other addicts/alcoholics. It got easier after a few meetings and paying attention to the culture of the fellowship; no different than the codeswitching a lot of us do in how we introduce ourselves and share in AA vs NA if we do both (I also get a lot out of NA and feel I belong there too).

2 Likes

This is the thread @aircircle is referring to: Book discussion: "Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself"

3 Likes

Thanks a million @aircircle :blush: