Advice needed 🤔 I'm 8 months sober but haven't been to aa since Christmas

You dont seem like you had an addiction then. You seem to have a skewed view of how other people work and suffer. Theres a notable lack of empathy in everything you say. It’s not about being weak willed for many people. There are many addicts who cannot come off their DOC without extreme withdrawls and psychological issues.

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice :blush:. I have been to a couple of meetings since I posted as I was scared I was forgetting how far i have come, i now know I’m open to them, just not a religiously as my dad is which i guess is fine as were not the same person.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, this is really useful :blush:

1 Like

Hi @SassyRocks. Thank you for your advice and also the links they’re really useful!! As my dad says ‘you went to any lengths to get alcohol, now go to the same lengths for your sobriety’ which I fully intend to do! Wishing you well!!

4 Likes

Good for you, girlie! Whatever works in your recovery and you seem to be very on top of and aware of what works for you which in the end is all that matters!! Lots of positive energy comkng your way :heart:

1 Like

Thank you!! You too :heart:

I think one of the best things about AA is the sense of community it provides. It is also a great way to spend somewhat new found time not drinking. With that said, I don’t believe it’s the only way to get sober and stay sober. Having a community, whether it be work friends you hang out with outside or work, church, crafting groups, gaming groups, or workout groups as long as people aren’t drinking in front of you to help create urges it’s a good community. You also want to make sure it’s people you can be honest with. Addiction hides in lies.

2 Likes

I’ll be the first in line to talk trash about AA orthodoxy, but it’s goals are what’s important:

1. Understanding and accepting you have a problem.

2. Deciding to get help to solve it.

3. Recognizing substance abuse is the symptom of the problem, not the problem in itself.

4. Working arduously to address and overcome the root causes.

You’re not gonna accomplish this sitting at home. You need to look outside yourself.

AA provides a safe place to talk about your issues, meet people, and stop isolating.

4 Likes

“Sobriety is finding a new way of living that involves engagement where there was withdrawal; generosity where there was self-centeredness; community where there was isolation; joy where there was bitterness; trust where there was cynicism.”

2 Likes

Love this.

I’m going to add this to the resources thread as well but I just recently found out about Phoenix Multisport in a TEDtalk. It was started by me in Colorado but has expanded Nationwide.
“The Phoenix offers a free sober active community to individuals who have suffered from a substance use disorder and to those who choose a sober life. Using a peer support model, we help members heal and rebuild their lives while also striving to eliminate stigma around recovery.”
The only requirement to join a workout near you is 48 hours of sobriety.

https://thephoenix.org/

1 Like

Thank you.

Any time. We’re all in this together…

1 Like

I love this post @Tangerine. Addiction hides in lies. This is so true.

Just as important as not taking the first drink is not telling the first lie.

2 Likes

Thank you for this :blush: