Advice needed please guys

Does anybody find being sober and your mind being more clear it has heightened thier anxiety?? Im suffering a little
11 days today!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Hi Rachel,

I have had depression and anxiety for a long time but is managed quite well now. I too find I have greater clarity in sobriety. Initially this may make you more aware of your anxiety, but then again, anxiety is a withdrawal symptom in the first couple of weeks. Overall, my anxiety has improved greatly with sobriety. It also allows me to have coping strategies and intuitive ways of dealing with it to develop, now I am not masking it with booze. Best wishes. :pray: Congratulations on your 11 days! :+1:

6 Likes

I found that I was all over the place for the first few weeks. I felt raw and wide open at times. It does pass, I promise. Just self soothe where possible. Breathing exercises helped me, herbal teas, and I tried to make my house as calm as possible. It takes time for our bodies to re-regulate. I found I had anxiety and was on edge a lot. It will settle, the good news is that you never have to go through this again. Take it steady my friend, one day at a time one step at a time. We are here if you need us. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Thanks guys means alot I’ve had anxiety for years and I am on medication but glad to hear it will get easier. When I go to bed at night im very restless but I may try other techniques for that :blush::smile:

1 Like

Wow thanks :blush:

2 Likes

Yes, the fog lifted and the anxiety PTSD issues resurfaced after 25 years, but I accepted it and realized it’s part of the recovery and it does get better. I drank alone most to the time and I really just didn’t want to be around people, I’m pretty sure because I was embarrassed of my alcoholism. Since starting sobriety I have had to make myself get out and start doing things I would have never done,like join local hiking groups with STRANGERS,it’s changing the way I look at things which is starting to reverse alot of those issues.
Still working on it daily 400+ days sober.

1 Like

Well done you!!
Its great that you can get out there and enjoy things now.
I need to thing of a hobby for me to do now uve inspired me :smiley:

1 Like

You can do this👊

1 Like

I’ve been sober 90 days and it’s been hell just got married and I’m putting her to the test My mind is running wide open but I know if I keep going it will get better I lost my wife of 21 years in 2020 drinking was my crutch but now I have a wonderful wife and I want to be good to her so no more drinking you got this

To be honest,

Alcohol is a CNS depressant, so even if you have high anxiety it wi calm you.
Now do that daily x months or years. Your body and mind got used to being suppressed by alcohol, now you taken it away.

On top of the physical and mental withdrawls. You have mental health issues, it exacerbates everything,

It will subside, if your on medication continue if not consider consulting your doc. Since I quit everything my emotions are all over the place, I forgot what it was like to feel.its difficult at times because you just want to say screw it, its was easier to numb out. But like anything all in good time I guess

Congratulations on 11 days Rachel.
I guess I didn’t have that problem. I did a lot of power walking with my iTunes. Sometimes twice a day the first month. And exercise. And meditation and house cleaning. Maybe it was nervous energy. But I do remember I was pretty angry and pissed off because I couldn’t drink like a normie. And lots of long hot showers late in the afternoon around cocktail time.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

How long have you been sober? Anxiety is worse in early sobriety but clears out the longer you stay sober. At least, that’s been my experience and observations. Hang in there.

1 Like

Yup. The withdrawal part was turbulent, but I also found once it passed my baseline anxiety was much lower. No longer on the yo yo of drinking and not, I only had the normal stuff to work on.

Good news is we only have to go through that one last time if we so choose. :pray: Hang in there.

3 Likes

In the beginning…yes. As time went on, it got better.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss but yes drinking won’t add anything positive enjoy your lives you got this :heart_eyes:

U have them exact feeling like sod it whats the point but I no im happier sober and lifes good😃
My tablets definitely help and more exercise is helping too.
Nice to hear your being strong :muscle: :+1:

Love this msg as I love walking music and hot showers lol we got this :+1:

1 Like

12 days today so yes very early