Advice when your spouse is still drinking

Wow! I so appreciate and needed to hear all your words. I ve felt very alone in the past 3 years as I’ve been working on my sober muscles… thanks sassyrocks for that one. You have all helped confirm what I knew in my heart. He is an everyday day drinker that rarely causes an issue … although I know his mood and physical health would be better if he got sober. As you all have said I need to focus on my self. I was at a place where I felt I needed to pick my marriage or sobriety and I just needed to know that getting sober with a drinking partner can be done. There’s not a lot of posts on it as one of you said because it shouldn’t be about the other person. This is my first interaction with a sober community and I don’t have anyone else. Not sure that I feel comfortable with AA although I haven’t totally decided against it. So I apologize in advance if I blow up the forum.

4 Likes

My husband is an everyday drinker too and predictable as you say. Your words have really helped I need to keep the focus on me andcmy sobriety… I’m an adult child of an alcoholic and struggle with codependency so ya… got a lot of work today.

5 Likes

You can blow up the forum all you want. :slightly_smiling_face: I know some folks say you cannot sustain sobriety with a drinking spouse, but my experience so far has been you can. We all know in our heart if we are honest if our relationship is a positive one where we can be sober and that be okay. I am glad the threads I posted helped you see you are not alone. I am not on here as much, but always happy to support where I can, so don’t feel shy about reaching out. :heart:

3 Likes