Afraid of withdrawals... Advice?

So I’ve been drinking for some time and recently have tried to quit several times with minimal withdrawals. However I binged over the weekend and am now having some pretty bad withdrawal symptoms. I’m curious as to what to watch out for and also looking for someone I can stay in touch with or potentially text message as I go through the first part of this process?? I just want to get through this scariest part, I really want to be sober but want to do it safely.

www.drinkaware.co.uk was a useful tool for me

1 Like

Hey hun, how are you doing today? Have you been able to navigate around and find useful topics on the forum today? Pm if you need help or just a chat

I’m in the same boat. I drink 8 beers every night. Been doing this for about 2 months. Right now I’m having panic attacks, and I feel off. No shakes or sweats yet. It will get better!

2 Likes

Mostly I’ve found people who are in the same boat, but I’m still looking around. I made it through some hard shakes and sweats yesterday with some throwing up, and have made it through some less intense shakes today. It’s hard because I just want to drink to make the feeling stop and to numb the fear, but I also just want to be sober and healthy. So I’m trying to fight through it. I’ve lost too many years of my life to this. I really appreciate you checking in though. I need all of the support I can get right now.

2 Likes

I think you will be fine. There is a lot of scary side effects like tremors and stuff, but those are usually extreme cases of people abusing for a long amount of time. I was drinking a 12 pack of Corona every night and more on the weekends (18 pack) and before I quit my hands would shake violently every morning. It took about 4 beers before the shakes would go away. This was me at my rock bottom.

If you are binge drinking every weekend or so, you shouldn’t (although I am not doctor) have any serious side effects. Some discomfort and anxiety is normal. You may also get some hot sweats when sleeping but its just your body trying to push the toxins out of your body and is normal.

If you are that worried about it consult a doctor, but I think you will be fine. Just stick it out.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. I’ve been binge drinking every night, or mostly every night, and even worse on the weekends for a couple of years which is why I was worried about quitting cold turkey. You’re definitely right about the tremors and the hot sweats at night. I’m hoping they don’t last more than a couple weeks?

Not sure how far a long you are… but if you survived the first 3 days, you should be fine as far as serious side effects. That is usually when the really bad stuff happens, like the life threatening tremors and stuff happen. You will probably still feel Shakey and anxious after that, but it gets better each day. I also researched this a lot before quitting and it made me a bit paranoid about quitting but don’t let it stop you. It’s going to be uncomfortable for a few days and weeks, but it does get better. Good luck

1 Like

Just a bit of advice, when I quit, even though I was a binge drinker and not an everyday drinker, I went to the doctors and they gave me thiamine to help me through, it stops any chance of brain damage while you’re withdrawing, sounds like a scary concept but it is true. Go to your doctor and see what you can get to help