After almost a week I caved

I woke up today miserable… but honestly it had been building. The mental progress I made in recovery didn’t feel a lot like “progress”. So I caved. I used. And I feel like such a disappointment. resetting that timer is… heartbreaking. But I did it to myself, I made my choice. But trying to figure out how to pick up where I left off… I dont know how. I feel helpful once again. Not in control. Just looking for some help right now. I could use some support.

1 Like

Just keep in mind that you’re sober days you had before you reset can never be taken away from you. Those are YOUR days that you can build off it. It’s not uncommon to relapse early on (and even after long periods of time). It’s a change, it takes time to adjust and the physical and mental cravings of alcohol can be completely miserable. I’m having a very tough time with the mental cravings but every time I look at my timer, it reassures me that I have come this far (tomorrow at 8 will be a week for me) and to just stay focused, stay determined, and to know that living sober brings so much out of life that no drink will ever give me. Some days are worse than others but always reach out for help if you feel like you are going to cave. I did that the other day and it helped me pull through. Stay strong! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Positive things to think about stead of hating yourself. You actually made it those 6 days which proves you can absolutely again. In those 6 days you were sober you saved $360. Yup… that’s a lot of money, huh? You started doing hobbies and activities that you actually use to enjoy and you felt better! You did a better jov at work because you were more focused and now concerned witg getting high. (sorry y’all this was just me tryna remind myself im capable of doing this again.)

1 Like

Thank you! Instead of coming on this website and getting the support I needed- I fell into myself and let my addiction take over me again. I just have to keep pushing forward…

Exactly. Just remember - we are here whenever you need us to be. Support is only minutes away and can make the difference between adding another sober day or having to reset. Just don’t be too hard on yourself, today is a fresh, new day and you can definitely forge ahead. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome back! Congratulations on your first hour sober. Know that we all have your back, and are here to support you. If you feel it coming on again, drop by. Most of the time I spend here is fighting off cravings, so I get it.

@Oliverjava posted a great list of things to do instead of getting high, might be worth a look. (In a prior post I mistakenly attributed this to @Kmills888, who is great in her own right, but didn’t post this).

You might consider trying to find a sponsor, or maybe join SMART Recovery or similar, or just find a friend you can confide in when you’re having trouble.

4 Likes

This was a great post @Oliverjava

3 Likes

One foot in front of the other. Take a deep breath.

This is a new day and that’s awesome you’re back here! Right now you’re in control and YOU get to decide your next move. Get excited about that!

2 Likes

Hey… just wanted to send some support your way just like you’ve done for me today. I know it’s hard hitting reset, especially knowing you made the choice of your own free will… but remember you’re also consistently making the choice to return here and to work to be sober. That’s incredible! You can so do this and you aren’t alone.

1 Like

Positive vibes and support coming at cha! Great to see your back where you need to be. It’s called a journey for a reason. You know you CAN do this, you’ve shown you can. We all have your back! Reach out as you have for support and advice! Best of luck! One day at a time. You GOT this!!

1 Like

I really love you all!!! hahaha

1 Like

@remakingsunshine I’m sorry for the reset, but sometimes it goes hand and hand with recovery. The changes you see are going to be very subtle in the beginning. Re-programming yourself to not want/need alcohol doesn’t happen overnight, and many times you will barely notice the difference. I know early on in sobriety for me every lapse just re-enforced the fact I didnt want the sick and tired feeling anymore. The longer you go and the better you feel, the more you will appreciate it.

For some reason I would test this better feeling with a lapse in my sobriety. Keep pushing the wagon even when you fall off.

1 Like

It takes so much courage to return to the right path especially when your battered and beaten mentally or physically. Welcome back @remakingsunshine

1 Like