After corona

Last week I was in my home group meeting. A lot of the shares told a sad story of how people had relapsed because they stopped going to meetings.
Some have found solution in online meetings. For some that just hasn’t been enough.
I wish that everyone got reconnected to their sobriety and their programs as fast as possible as soon as it’s safe where ever you are.
I think it is a shame that so many are relapsing in this time.

And with that in mind…I’m off to my home group meeting to make coffee and to connect with the program and the people. To share my experience, strength and hope.

16 Likes

Give my regards to your group ,from this old timer scotsman

1 Like

Will do sir. warms my heart to have this honor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

12 steps. All day.

My HP brought me to a meeting. At meetings I found a sponsor. My sponsor took me through the steps. The steps lead to sobriety.

4 Likes

you are spot on here. This pandemic and the massive social disruption it has caused, has taken a tremendous toll on everyone, especially those who have the added mental health and addiction challenges.

My fellow martial arts students are my home group. The classes are my meeting. My morning workouts my step work. When forced to shut down in-person classes, thankfully they started online almost immediately. It helped, but it wasn’t the same as “being there”. Plenty of interaction with the instructor, but hardly any between students. This is what was missing. The learning and striving together for our common goals.

Church has always been a big part of my life. The same dynamic applies here, as well. Watching a worship service online isn’t the same.

I am a natural introvert, but this has made me really appreciate being around people. I have missed that connection.

1 Like

Your so right we need to keep connected. I’m greatful to be back in the programme working the steps with my amazing sponsor. I can only do zoom at moment but hearing everyone’s experience strengh and hope keeps me wanting what they have. Hope to c u tonight on zoom xxx

3 Likes

I hear you. It has been difficult to see people struggle and relapse. And a big reminder of why we are all here and what we need from this community as well. Thanks for the reminder and enjoy your meeting!!

4 Likes

:grimacing::grimacing: That was me too. Lockdown was hard. I didn’t fair as well as I hoped. Some days good somedays bad. Been going to in person HG meetings since June. They definitely help. Although I need to find a sponsor and cant at my group but that’s another story.
I think some lessons we’ve learned are here to stay. Just need to adapt now. I’m trying.

2 Likes

This is our chance to help others who have struggled without face to face interaction be strong in their own sobriety. By doing this we in turn strengthen our own…

I am realizing now how much my of my own struggles with alcohol were rooted in my own selfishness, ego and youthful naivety of compromising my own values for the sake of social acceptance.

3 Likes

I really miss my home group! It’s going on 6 months since I’ve seen those woman. The online meetings have certainly helped but it’s just not the same. We don’t know when in person meetings will open back up here in NJ. A woman from another meeting I attend was kind enough to invite 15 of us over to her backyard for a meeting every Saturday evening. I’m looking forward to our meeting tonight when we celebrate all the anniversaries that were missed. AA has been a game changer for me.

2 Likes

This is a interesting topic. I have seen this as well in my home group. Not only people falling off. But lots of people struggling with more than alcohol. Anxiety, depression, loneliness and boredom all leading to relapses. Alcohol sales in the US are up with some retail products by 44%! It’s crazy! I hope everyone is able to find someone, their HP, or a group to help with these issues so that more people don’t continue to suffer.

3 Likes