After evading it for 20 years, my rock bottom finally found me

Edited to include photo of damaged vehicle.

I don’t know if trigger warnings are needed, but just in case, there are mildly graphic details of a severe auto accident…just me, no casualties. I just don’t want to trigger anyone’s PTSD. No photos since I’m a new user, but the picture of my car makes you see how bad it truly was.

I never thought I’d land at the bottom. In fact, I felt that I “knew” I would NEVER get there. Until I did. There’s no more denying, negotiating, pretending, hiding…I’m truly a full-blown alcoholic and now the time has arrived to face it and change. Really, really change. I tell my story to help make any PTSD I might be facing less severe, but also to provide at least one person the strength to make it at least one more day in their sobriety.

On June 1st, 2024, I drank far too much. More than I ever have before. I have no idea why I continued to drink nearly a 5th of rum following a 6-pack of 6.5% cider. I lost complete track of time. I lost recollection of about a 24hr period and was jolted back to reality when I tripped and face planted on my kitchen floor, breaking my 2 front teeth off. I panicked and texted the dentist I work for, who agreed to leave immediately and meet me at the office in 30 minutes. I rushed out the door, pretending I wasn’t drunk. My Dad asked if I was Ok to drive. I said yes.

I lost recollection again of leaving the house, until my vehicle veered off the shoulder as I came around a curve, about 15 minutes into my drive. I hit gravel, over corrected, lost control, and braced for impact. I remember nothing until the car landed facing backwards in a pine tree, upright. I’m told I rolled at least twice. No other vehicles were involved. I think the tree was the only property destruction. I don’t know how I got so lucky. I’m not religious but I almost believe I wasn’t meant to die yet. The car was smashed in everywhere except my driver’s side. I was stunned, in shock, staring at the blood on my hands not understanding where it was coming from. It ended up being from minor scrapes. I stared at my car door not understanding how to open it. I couldn’t find a handle. I couldn’t see outside the vehicle and no one could see in. Every airbag deployed and the windshield was shattered but intact. Before I could finish trying to figure it out, someone yelled to see if I was ok. Once they confirmed they weren’t opening the car to a dead body, a woman helped me out and called my Dad once I could remember the number. I wanted to call the office to let them know i wasn’t coming. No one would let me. (I found out later the dentist was so worried he drove out to my house but couldn’t find my car. They knew something had happened but were lost on what to do.) Bystanders made me lie down on the grass until paramedics came. It felt like everything took 5 minutes. My clothes were cut off as everything was assessed. I didn’t even care that i was lying completely exposed around a crowd of onlookers. A county Sherriff asked me lots of questions that I didn’t answer accurately since I thought it was the morning, but it was actually evening. My BA was 0.278. I also had been vaping cannabis. I’m worried about what’s coming with all the legal stuff.

I was given morphine when my lower back started hurting. I had 2 lumbar compression fractures and a broken rib. A massive bruise on my knee/shin/calf that now has a hematoma, some other cuts scrapes and bruises, and that’s it. No concussion, lacerations, contusions, internal bleeding, not even a headache. I requested transport to University of Michigan hospital, the only health system in Michigan I recommend. I spent 3 nights in the hospital with around the clock pain meds, including Oxy, which I’m terrified of becoming addicted to. They sent me home with 10 pills. I waited a day and a half to take one and had my Dad keep the bottle from me. It made me feel so calm, normal and comfortable moving around even with the brace on that I fear I’d abuse them. I couldn’t leave my hospital bed for 1.5 days because I was waiting on orthopedics to fit me for a back brace. The brace is a rigid, full torso “turtle shell” that someone else has to put on/off of me while I lie flat in bed. There is a series of “log rolls” I have to do to get the back plate on. I’m not allowed to be in any position but totally flat on my back with it off. So I have to dress lying down with help… I have to bathe with the brace on, so I can’t wash very well. A little TMI, but adding to the reality of the situation, I have special tongs for toilet paper so I can wipe more easily, but I plan on getting a bidet attachment. My Dad is my caretaker and neither of us are ok with him seeing me naked, so I’m just sponge bathing until the only person I’ll let see me that way is available to make a 2hr drive to help me. I need to find a better solution because my unwashed hair is absolutely disgusting. Maybe they’ll dread themselves and I’ll start a new look :woman_shrugging: I can’t twist, bend or lift over 10lbs (I can only do 5 right now.) I have to log roll in and out of bed in my turtle shell every time I need to get up. This will be my life for 6-12 weeks.

I’ll be doing outpatient substance abuse rehab once I can get out in public more easily. My primary doctor is concerned about PTSD. I have a therapy session scheduled for tomorrow because things are starting to get overwhelming.

I want to say that If I’d just stayed home instead of running to the party store that Friday, none of this would’ve happened, but I think it just would’ve happened eventually anyway, to be frank. I found myself running down a dune with my drinking frequency and intensity, gaining so much momentum I just went flipping up over myself over and over at increasing speed until I crashed out at the bottom.

Drinking and pretending your life is intact is so much easier than realizing it’s not and taking steps to improve. Our brains will always choose the path of least resistance. I no longer trust mine. Today, i feel that I “know” that I’ll NEVER end up here again. But that’s what I thought before, so that doesn’t make it true. Thank you for reading if you made it to the end. Getting this off my chest is helpful.

22 Likes

Welcome here. Sorry that it took a near fatal accident to open your eyes to a sober path. We are here for you and please do what necessary to heal and recover.

I will pray for you.

7 Likes

Also I fully credit my Jeep Compass and seat belt for saving my life. I will be checking for even higher safety ratings whenever I’m ready for another vehicle.

5 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober. I’m grateful you survived your accident and have reached out here - I hope engaging with this remarkably supportive and resourceful community will become one of the tools you can rely upon in your path toward recovery. It sounds like you have a solid plan for getting treatment (as well as a good doctor already discussing PTSD with you and a supportive father) and I hope you’ll consider checking in with us regularly as you continue on your healing journey. We have a daily check in thread if you’re interested, and it’s a good place to start to get to know some of the regular folks here. There are lots of really helpful threads on a wide variety of topics, also.

Best wishes for speedy healing on the physical side of things and I hope to see you around the forum.

Link to daily check in: Checking in daily

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story x

3 Likes

Welcome @Stella2016 :wave:

Scary stuff. Sounds like you know what you don’t want to see, and you want to make some big changes. It’s a lot of work, but worth it!

Stick around, lots to learn here from the friendly folks at Talking Sober :innocent:

IMG_2094

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. I assure you that you are not alone; I have a remarkably similar situation.

I drove home on June 2nd of this year, far more intoxicated than I’d wanted to admit or acknowledge. When I pulled into the driveway and got out of the car, I passed out face first onto the concrete and knocked my self unconscious for an unknown amount of time. Some kind strangers walking by called me an ambulance, and I came up at .326 in the hospital. I’m still concussed.

I agree that something kept you alive that day and you’re meant to be here! Sending strength! So glad you’re with us.

6 Likes

Welcome @Stella2016 glad you found us and i hope this unfortunate low is your bottom. Put as much energy into sobriety as you did in partying. Remain humble and teachable.

Thank you for sharing your story and i hope you stick around

4 Likes

Wow i’m glad you’re still with us cause this sounds very scary!!! I hope sincerely that this will be what makes you seriously try to stay sober and never drink again. I know that you’re most likely dealing with lots of shame over this but definitely use this as motivation to do whatever it takes to make a change! I’m here for you if you ever need support

1 Like

Welcome @Stella2016 and thanks for sharing your story. It was a story well told that I know I will remember from time to time as it serves as a reminder of where I KNOW I would have ended up as well. Your experience is common so don’t feel like you are alone - this community is a great place to be and I hope you find the support you are looking for in your journey to a better you

3 Likes