Ah well. Here I am

I’d say don’t worry about it. Get up tomorrow start over it’ll be a new day. You can do this it’s just a little setback. Ask your higher power for guidance you’ll get through it no big deal​:hugs::purple_heart::pray: You’ll see the sunshine through the tunnel, promise nothing worth having comes easy…

1 Like

Humbled af. :weary:

2 Likes

Yes! How easily for real. If I’ve learned anything, it’s how quickly I can sink into old habits. :disappointed_relieved:

The fact that u r getting back up is Super Duper Awesome!

And well… Here we are too!

1 Like

I always feel I am one drink away from being back where I started from (if not worse :weary: ) Sorry you’re hurting but at least now you know to be extra protective of your sobriety! You will get back there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m curious if you had a drink or went the whole 9 yards

Wow @Elisabeth, that was a bolt out of nowhere.
I’d have 50 questions but they’d just be annoying so I won’t ask.
Yourself and maybe 5 or 6 others on the forum have been the inspiration to get me to over 6 months and it’s a sad testament to how powerful and persuasive this f’n sly monster booze can be that you could get pulled down into it after so long.
And it’s a testament to you that you’re back and defying the mf’r it’s chance of winning.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Elisabeth. It’s sad how this addiction has such a stronghold in our lives. I’ve had at least 6 periods of sobriety lasting longer than 6 months in my lifetime. And each time, I’ve gone back into the smut. And it’s like I forgot everything I learned, acting out like never before with no self-control.

I can understand the fact that it’s not easy to recover from a slip or relapse. In Reformers Unanimous, there is a saying,

It’s easier to keep the heart clean than it is to clean it after it’s been defiled.

You’ll come back out of this. You’ve got the tools. You have us. And you came clean and shared the truth. That’s commendable. And I don’t care how much sobriety you have right now. You’re are amazing and offer so much to this community. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

I relapsed after 7 years. I felt like a total disaster, but you are not starting from Square 1. 80% of people relapse… and if you don’t relapse, you’re actually the exception.

You have built other coping skills and habits. Hop back on the train, start some new habits (I started running and therapy again after my relapse… went back to my old books and pulled them back out… started my gratefulness journal again).

Lean in! We can do this!!! It’s not a fresh start cause you’ve already done this before!!!

5 Likes

If you have strong craving consider asking your doctor about Naltrexone (blocks the receptors in the brain that are responsible for substance cravings)…Just a thought!!! 8)

Right there with you and feel your pain. I realized today that I’ve drank for the past week. Reset my sober clock 3 times…such a shit feeling. :worried: I’m trying to figure out how to break the cycle when all I want to do is keep drinking. Keep your head up; it’s a new day and month. We got this!

1 Like

I remember sitting in a meeting in Bali the day after new years day a few years ago. There was a round robin of how many days sober each person was and a person that we all new had 4 or 5 months up cringinly said…‘1 day’…to which a long timer blurted out very jovialy…‘Happy New Year!’ It was a warm funny moment that made this person and me certainly aware of the fact that its not the end of the world if this happens. :blush: moreso what actions are taken afterwards

8 Likes

Sorry to hear that @Elisabeth I know how you’re feeling. I relapsed after 5 months earlier this year and thought, well I’ve done it now so I’m going to make the most of it until I stop again. I wish I hadn’t listened to that asshole of an addict in my head as it really did spiral out of control when the addict was telling me it’s not really that bad. It only took three months for the shit to really hit the fan, and it was one of those powerful jet Dyson fans and it blew the shit everywhere.

Try to avoid letting it get that far, look back on your early posts, remember the bad times and not that warm fuzzy feeling your addict self is probably telling you is so great right now. Or tell me to shut up and do what you like.

One day at a time, try staying sober for just a day and see if your perspective changes.

Stay strong

7 Likes

Hmm, define “the whole 9 yards.” I drank a lot, not enough to get sick, but enough. I didn’t do anything crazy if that’s what you mean.

Thanks, that means a lot. I try to be a positive force on this forum and give back as much as I get from being on here. It was kind of out of nowhere, especially since I had gotten through so many events in my life sober. Big trip, Christmas, New Years, a wedding, bachelorette party, a run in SF known for everyone partying/drinking, most of memorial day weekend… Just got mad and the anger didn’t stop. It stopped when I drank, so I drank some more. What I really should’ve been doing was calling someone or going to a meeting.

1 Like

Thank you @KevinesKay!!! You are too nice :blush: I really enjoy your presence on this forum as well. And I definitely feel like it was easier to get sober the first time. Everything was so fresh and I was taking on this new journey to improve my life. I was new to AA, the language, the steps, the sober lifestyle…now my attitude is shitty, let’s be real. Tell it like it is anchorman. Tell it like it is.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. And yes, total disaster, that’s how I’m feeling. I think part of me wanted to be that exception. I consider myself to be pretty intelligent and thought for sure, even with my struggles, I could do this and never relapse. I think I’ll take your advice and start journaling/reading again. I kind of lost that hunger for life in sobriety. I’m a walking cliché really.
How to relapse by me:
:cherry_blossom: stop going to meetings
:cherry_blossom: stop reading, journaling, doing anything really
:cherry_blossom: start thinking you don’t have a problem or you’re better than everyone (i.e. all other alcoholics)
:cherry_blossom: stop praying for people that piss you off…lol

I’m sure there’s more, but I’ll stop there.

8 Likes

You just described my struggle this week. It’s hard to stop when the shakiness easily goes away with another drink. Ugh.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. It’s hard starting over after a long stretch like that. Sucks ass really. lol, I was so looking forward to celebrating my 1st year. Ah well.

I think that’s the mentality I have right now. My sponsor was kind of like, well, call me when you’re ready. Whatever. Feeling abandoned on top of everything else, which is really stupid because I did this to myself. No one else made me drink and of course she’s not going to work with me if I’m not sober. It’s stupid pity parties like this that gets me hung up and wanting to drink again.

Also, your description of shit hitting the fan, um awesome. lol

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement to get my shit together. :smirk: It really helps to hear everyone’s past experiences with their own relapse(s).

1 Like