Alcohol and Brandon

Well I’m pretty new to this app. I discovered it yesterday when I decided I needed some advice and encouragement. So I figure it’s best to start this journey telling my story to you.

I’ve been an alcoholic since I was 16 years old. I remember my friends and I used to stay drunk every weekend pouring into Week days. Sometimes we would skip school just because we would get so slammed the evening before that we couldn’t function the next morning. Just kids having fun right?

Then came college. I’d didn’t go to college LOL but I lived on the couch of all my friends that did just partying with them between them going to class and making something of themselves while I was just the designated drinking buddy.
Well that led to 5 minor in possessions, 2 drunk in public’s, and a DUI for me. All before 21! Go me right?

After my DUI I got a job back in my home town at a beer distributor (very fitting) to pay for all of my legal bills. I winded up working there for a couple years and evening getting my commercial drivers license. But even with things going well in my adult career life I still reached alcohol every time I got home.

I eventually left the beer distributor and took a job on the road as a construction contractor for railroads. I became a foreman and life was good. I had two little girls. My oldest is 3 and my youngest is 1 which slowed my drinking down for a few months after each were born. But it really wasn’t too long before I got back into drinking every single night. At my worst which was two weeks ago I was up to at least an 18 pack every night. If it was beer it was whatever alcohol I could get my hands on or down to the bar I went… It makes me sick of myself to think back on how much I’ve messed up and things I’ve missed out on because I couldn’t put down alcohol.

I’m not sure why but I woke up Friday morning. Walked into my kitchen and opened a beer. Took a sip then all the sudden knew I was messing up big time. I haven’t had a drink since Friday. I told my coworkers I want to get sober and they couldn’t understand why because I’m such a fun drunk. And it didn’t “affect” my job. They said at least I’m responsible enough to wake up for work every morning. I don’t really think they get what I’m trying to do or why.
I’m hoping I can find se people here to lean on a little. That was a very lengthy explanation but I hope you can understand my story a little and help me with this. I am two days sober as of now and I need to keep pushing forward for my kids.

8 Likes

I woke up one day, hung over and took inventory of myself. I didn’t like drunk me, I didnt respect drunk me.

No one that knows me, can understand why I gave up drinking. I was a high functioning alcoholic. They just cant believe I gave it up. I have been asked if: I got a DUI, bad news from the doctor, got someone pregnant, ect. Nope, just came to the realization that I am an alcoholic.

Holler if you need something. We are here to help

6 Likes

Thanks Scott. Yesterday morning was the first morning in over 8 months that I woke up clear headed and it felt really good. When you say high functioning alcoholic, that mostly sums up how I’ve been for about 6 years now. I wake up on time everyday. I go to work and work. And I think that’s what my coworkers aren’t really grasping. But when the evening roles back around I had a drink in my hand until I passed out. I’m really trying to make sobriety work this time. Thank you for you input. Very much appreciated.

2 Likes

That was my routine for 24 years. Sobriety keeps getting better every day.

I also thought I was a functioning alcoholic. After quitting and having the fog lifted and sanity return I realized I was just surviving and not living.

I think it’s great you chose to quit. You’re riding the momentum now so keep it up! You need to put support in place to help you keep sober and grow. AA is great for me. If you go, get a sponsor sooner than later and start working the steps.

You have support here so don’t be afraid to ask for help

4 Likes

Thank you for the input frank. I truly do appreciate it. My problem is a work on the road more then I’m at home. I was wondering how to go about getting a sponsor or join an aa when I would never really be able to consistently go to meetings.

There are online resources. Also a good thing about AA is that it’s almost everywhere so no matter where you are chances there will be a meeting.

Go to a meeting by your home and find a sponsor. You can keep in touch with him while your on the road.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I appreciate it

My day to day was pretty similar too. I have a 5 and 2 year old. I drank every night mostly til blackout, but wake up and go to work. I had to start hiding it from my wife, then started drinking on my way to work, then on lunch, and of course after work, on the drive home and then at home.

You can do it. This app is awesome. Try some meetings and check out smart too.

5 Likes