Alcohol and caffeine

Alcohol was my DOC and with the help of you folks here I’m almost 6 months sober (whoop!!)

Watching and taking in as much as possible about sobriety, a lot of the information refers to addiction but spans across a range of substances.

One thing that comes up is the replacement of one addiction with another, I have gone thru this myself when I used to smoke, I went from chain smoking to chain drinking one just replacing out the other…

Now life is pretty good without either of those things, but I do drink coffee and my caffeine intake is medium to high. I didn’t think this was anything to worry about but am keen to get other people’s thoughts.

Also, when you quit your DOC did you find that your caffeine intake went up?

Yep, 100%. I try to keep it to 200mg a day. There are days when I’ve had 600mg though, and that’s definitely way more than is healthy. I never drank that much caffeine when I drank alcohol.

I think a lot of it has to do with boredom and getting tired more often because I’m not distracted by alcohol.

I’d say 6 out of 7 days a week I’m successful at sticking to 200mg or less. I usually drink my preworkout supplement first thing in the morning before I workout and then I’ll have 1 energy drink or 1 cup of coffee at some point during the day.