Alcohol and entertainment

Had anyone else noticed how obsessed the media has become with drinking as socializing. If you look back the past 50 years at television shows you might notice that as we made it into the new millennium drinking had become a more of a norm in them. In the 80s and 90s you might see the occasional wine or beer being cracked open after work or Frasier having a sherry with his brother. Even in Cheers you saw a sober bartender had served the occasional beer, but rarely saw anyone drink besides norm and a few other leads. Even with popular shows like friends, drinking was a very rare occasion
They actually met in a coffee shop instead of their neighborhood bar. We get to shows now like HIMYM, Cougar town (not as memorable but this is when I really noticed wine was flowing all the time) where it became more of an every night/day norm. Many of the reality shows have them socializing around champagne or wine. When Iā€™m not drinking (trying the sober thing) I find myself watching some of these shows and how they relate drinking to socializing and being happy with friends (almost like someone with a food addiction associates eating with socializing and happiness).

Just wondered if anyone else has thought about how our society looks at alcohol and ā€œbeing a wine momā€ or drinking everynight/day as being more normal and socially acceptable than ever might effect someone trying to get or stay sober?

2 Likes

You have to remember, TV is not realā€¦ And the reality TV is even more not realā€¦ So donā€™t think to much into it. Itā€™s not real :grin:

3 Likes

Itā€™s there, itā€™s big money and itā€™s not going away soon.
In our early days it can be annoying to see it everywhere we go but once we settle into our sobriety, not so much.
Once we have accepted where we are it shouldnā€™t matter what is going on around us.
Other people can do what they want.
And as for reality TV. Well donā€™t get me started on that load of rubbish.

3 Likes

This is called Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. Its like when you buy a new car and then you see that same car everywhere. Itā€™s only something you notice when you become more self aware.

But youā€™re right, there are ā€˜en vougeā€™ cultures being portrayed, like the toxic Mommy wine culture, as if the producers want to be edgy yet hip. Unfortunately, its hard to see until you step back and view it through a different lens.

3 Likes

Perception is everything :grin:

1 Like

Karen. From. Will. And. Grace. always with a martini and pills, always the wealthiest in the room. Sex and the city, they went out every single night always to a different place in designer but always with a Cosmo.
This thread specifically hits me. My problem was binge drinking by myself, if my husband was home I would stop after drunk, but heā€™s in the navy so not often was that successful. I was blackout almost everytime. The people that kept me company? These drinkers on TV. I would honestly comfort myself that in himym they drank everyday and I didnā€™t. How crazy is that?

2 Likes

But in some sense it is. You know how my people in my age range a d my area consider themselves mom winos but not alcoholics because its has become such a norm for moms to cope with life. My poison isnā€™t wine and Iā€™m not a mom, just an observation more than anything.

I noticed way before my obsessive drinking but then again Iā€™ve always been really self aware and observant

I dont expect it to go away, it was just an observation.

1 Like

Cool, that was not ment as anything other than a comment.