Alcohol gave me liver cirrhosis

Hi. I’m new here and haven’t posted my story yet. I’ve just been reading posts…

But yeah. 10 years of drinking everyday and having hepatitis C untreated for two years caused me to develop cirrhosis of my liver…

I am only 26 and this really sucks :confused:

I knew what I was doing to my liver being as my mom had the same thing but at the time I didn’t care but now I do… it’s all I can think about at times and Ive relapsed since being released from the hospital…

I shouldn’t be drinking at all but it is so hard to stop!

People with cirrhosis are like “if you drink you’ll DIE” but we all die anyways right?? I know drinking is just making it come faster and making me more susceptible to liver failure again so I am going to stop! Again…

I was doing SO good at first but drinking is all I’ve ever known but yeah. I am going to stop before I do end up dying too soon…

12 Likes

What type of things were you doing to stop?

4 Likes

If you drink, you won’t die right away but yeah, you’ll experience a really painful and slow death. I’ve reached out to you privately, gave you some pointers and advice from someone who has literally been in your shoes. Take it or leave it but it’s on you to figure out your why. You need the support, you can not do this alone especially with being so sick. You can turn this around, you just need to want it. I am living proof you can get sober and live a normal healthy life with a cirrhotic liver!

24 Likes

Not a good way to look at life , you have liver damage maybe try a meeting might help you to relise that life is precious . ive had friends who are in the graveyard who thought that a wee liver damage wasnt as important than continuing drinking . life or death ? wish you well

5 Likes

Painfull yes, I remember when my dad died. Its the worst I have ever seen. I can still see him, hear him. Its not a nice way to go.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry you had to go through that type of heart break…just one more reason not to drink :heart:

4 Likes

I understand this thinking but it’s flawed. I am dealing with liver damage as well as severe acute necrotizing pancreatitis. I can tell you from my experience that dying a drunk is going to be a very painful and regrettable experience in the final days of complete agony. The pain is unreal. The mental anguish and regret is also unreal. I hope you can heal and find some peace… easier said then done in this world. I wish you the best.

3 Likes

Love the mindset shift, wishing you well. How is your diet currently with everything going on?

2 Likes

My diet is very restricted. I’m learning the ins and outs of a pancreas issue diet. No oils, no grease, no red meat, no processed, no raw veggies or those with skin on them, no dairy. As many calories as I can manage… which is not a lot. 20-40g of fat a day max. Small meals - chew food very thoroughly and take digestive enzymes with each meal to lessen the stress on my pancreas. I have a very hard time eating with going through withdrawals and the medical issues… that and food now causes me pain which starts to fuck with your head.

2 Likes

You have any tips or tricks of healing you’ve learned along the way and would be willing to share?

1 Like

I only have mildly fat liver with occasional elevated thistle blend enzymes but I take a milk thistle blend 2x a day. Don’t know if it helps.

1 Like

It can’t be reversed-cirrhosis is literally the scarring of the liver but since she is so young, she can still live a long life before needing to think about a transplant.

2 Likes

I totally get it. I could not eat anything at my worst and was vomiting up blood. That will pass. Have you tried pureeing vegetables? They’re loaded with antioxidants and minerals that you’re body can absorb. I think raw veggies may require too many enzymes to process rough fiber from veggies so this could be easier on your stomach. If you can, complex carbs so brown rice, quinoa…water and herbal teas…what about oatmeal? That become by best friend during those few months of withdrawals mixed with just being so sick and I recommend it to my clients who have chronic pancreatitis. The smooth consistency and stomach coating properties make it ideal for a breakfast food. Plus it has group b vitamins which your body needs right now. Feel free to reach out if you need any more suggestions :hugs:

2 Likes

Just my own mind set I guess . I need a therapist or something I think

1 Like

Therapy is certainly a part of my recovery. I also do AA and practice the 12 steps. I’ve also done the ole detox/rehab then IOP. Lives in a sober living house. I also used medication prescribed by a doctor my first 7 months.

4 Likes

It’s not a wee liver damage. But yeah thanks for the well wishes :relaxed:

1 Like

Yup it is irreversible :disappointed_relieved:

I eat fruit alot but I can’t bring myself to eat leafy greens :no_mouth: oatmeal too I will eat… I stick to my 2000mg sodium restriction… I try to just eat chicken and I don’t like fish (salmon, cod or whatever). I just like pickerel but it’s hard to come by… Do you know if I can take cod liver oil if I’m not gonna eat fish ? Because my doctor said I shouldn’t take milk thistle.

I’m a nutritionist not a doctor so I would still consult with him but no I would not touch any of that. Anything they say in your findings that “help” the liver doesn’t pertain to you as yours is cirrhotic. Try to drink 64 oz of water a day. If you want a supplement to take, take magnesium. Cirrhosis is characterized by a magnesium deficiency so it couldn’t hurt to get that in pill form from your local drug store. I took it for the first year. What you really need to do is focus on what your plan is to not drink moving forward. AA…rehab…you need to work on your mindset. Clean eating is all fine and good but is irrelevant if you can’t stop drinking for good.

6 Likes

Hi how are you doing ? :hugs:

3 Likes