Alcoholic strong mental faith need help on how to stop

I’m trying my best to stop; today is my first day. I’ve try doing this for 3 times before. Any tips

4 Likes

I can offer one suggestion… try to remember that doing without alcohol is not DEPRIVING yourself of anything, but rather FREEING yourself from the talons of an industry that has spread illness and misery and destruction for centuries if not millennia.
Alcohol doesn’t bring anything good to our lives, despite what commercials and - even - well-meaning friends and/or family members might have to say about it !
You’ve come to a good group, there are lots of people who will be happy to provide support and encouragement.

10 Likes

Thank you, I will keep writing to you all. Also, thanks for your advise.

3 Likes

I will for sure write and read to keep my mind of it. I’m a runner that also helps.

3 Likes

Avoid people places and things that can trigger you to drink… maybe give aa meetings ago . They are great way to meet soba people who understand what your going through

3 Likes

For me, i had to realize that alcohol was simply no longer an option in my life. That, this app and a program of sobriety has kept me sober

5 Likes

Yes, I use to go; but had to stop do to the Covid. You are right my family from AZ drink a lot and my mistake was that I went to visit for a month and the temptation was strong that I started drinking again. That a blackout doing stuff that was not ok with my family.

4 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to do. So, good job you are doing great :grin:

3 Likes

Bro I am not going to lie it’s hard but if this is what you want no one can stop you. Good luck my friend you got this

2 Likes

It’s not easy I know. My house is a trigger for me sometimes & with a broken ankle it’s hard to advoid lol. But there are lots of meetings online that helps for me.

2 Likes

I had to learn how to say no to the one person I hated saying no to, myself.

Alcohol is about instant gratification, could I live without it? Sure. Could I enjoy life without it? Early on I truly couldn’t comprehend that I could. Good news is I can enjoy life without it, but I did have to endure being an unhappy camper until I figured out how to enjoy life/things/passions without booze.

Realistically I didn’t have passions while I was a drunk, aside from my hedonism. I was only able to develop hobbies and passions after drying out.

What is King Alcohol holding you back from in life? What passions has he taken from you? What do you envision sober life to be?

3 Likes

Thanks, I hopefully I’m able to and will remain strong.

1 Like

Veronica; what does drinking do for you that’s positive? I know how hard it is at the beginning to think of life without it; trust me!
Try thinking of you being your very best without any substances needed! You already are great, funny, etc. without any help!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Exercise and I mean lots of it. Gym, classes, tennis, pickleball, yoga, basketball. Things you can’t do hungover. You’ll also feel great after which helps deter relapsing

1 Like

I’m dealing with a divorced and bottom line just afraid being alone. So, the booze is my friend. When I don’t drink I’m a runner and it feels good and focus. Then I go again feeling sorry for myself…

Alcohol keeps you alone, even in a crowded room, mingling with people I was alone.

Have you tried volunteer work? Helped me a lot with the woe is me’s. Got me out of my own hurt into someone else, helped me with empathy and compassion and understanding the small things I do have are big blessings to other people. Meetings also helped me tremendously, I could go into the meeting ready to fight and have that anger wash right out of me, it was like getting gas, filling up with gratitude.

Getting sober is as easy as don’t think, don’t drink. You don’t have the luxury of drinking anymore.

I was an abusive, egotistical, narcissist of a drunk… a real piece of work. But I got sober, stayed sober. If I can get sober and stay sober, you damn sure can too.

3 Likes