All my friends are out partying

Well done on staying strong! Very very proud of you. :hugs: every time you donā€™t listen to your addict voice it gets a little quieter. Congrats on the new job!!! Awesome!! :two_hearts:

1 Like

You probably avoided Covid :joy:

2 Likes

You arenā€™t missing anything. I went out with some people to a bar one night about 6 months into my sobriety. I quickly realized how miserable being at a bar really is and how much I wasnā€™t missing. The best thing I can tell you is to find something that will occupy your time. Find something that you really truly want to do or like doing and start doing it. Youā€™ll realize very fast that you arenā€™t missing anything with your friends.

2 Likes

And to be really honest, if theyā€™re your true friends, they wouldnā€™t want you there in the first place. Theyā€™ll want you to remain sober and theyā€™ll support and help you to maintain sobriety. If they donā€™t, then they arenā€™t your true friends.

2 Likes

You may not know this, but this can be an exciting time for you, if you choose it to be.

Your friends are out partying, which I assume is their preferred social activity. Take a good hard look at them. Are they exciting, educated, dynamic people? Are they doing things that change peopleā€™s lives for the better? What kind of legacy are they building?

You can choose to be better. Not ā€œbetter than themā€. You can be better today than you were yesterday, and tomorrow better still. You can get better physically, emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, mentally, financially. You can set bold and audacious goals for yourself, and go ā€œall-inā€ to achieve them. When you become this person, you generate a certain gravity that draws dynamic people to you.

And one day you pause, happily realizing you are where you are, because you chose a different path than your old crowd. They chose the easy path. They went to work, got together on weekends and happy hours. Maybe a few built pretty decent lives, but will always wonder what ā€œcould have beenā€, had they chosen a different path. What would they have in the bank? Where would they be professionally? Would they have run that marathon, or built that business, or written that book, that instead remained an unrealized dream? Where would they be, had they not had that drunken incident that ruined a potentially great relationship? Where would they be had they not gotten that DUI?

You can choose the hard path. I chose it early in life, and it was a great trip. Unfortunately, I chose to get off the hard path for a time, and it took many years and great effort to find my way back to it. But I am back on it, and it is a better path.

7 Likes

Hey @Bertoozi nice to meet you I hope you stayed in because I went out last night and Iā€™ma tell you something itā€™s not worth it it was not worth it at all because I woke up feeling like shit this morning with a bad hangover itā€™s not worth it stay strong strong when I say this Iā€™m also speaking for myself whenever you get the urges do a prayer or quickly meditate on the good and bad that comes from going out

2 Likes

Aww im sorry to hear that! Proud to say i didnt give in and stayed sober. No hangover for me and im feeling really good. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words i really do appreciate you guys! Today is going to be a good day :heart::heart::100::100:

2 Likes

Awesome sauce :pray::slightly_smiling_face: thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about

Something that happened to me when I quit drinking, I started noticing a lot of friends I have were friends because we would go drink and party once I stopped I realized who my true friends were and most of us fell apart and thatā€™s okay, cause I know it was just part of life. Some friendships last some donā€™t. Anyways I would just find a new hobby that you can spend that positive energy on and get involved with yourself.

4 Likes

Thank you for the supportive words :raised_hands: i am in the process of trying to find a new hobby and healthy things to do with my time. Im still working on it and havent found much to do but i have high hopes. The town im in is very small so thereā€™s not much to do thats why we all drink so much. :-1:

1 Like

Itā€™s the same where I live, its actually bad out in Saskatchewan, most of the people in the small towns think doing drugs and drinking is normal its sad. Try something youā€™ve always wanted to do, learn a new instrument, start writing and journaling, maybe dive into meditation and find peace of mind :blush:

1 Like

Hey weā€™re neighbours haha :slight_smile: thanks for the advice i will def try some of those ideas out! Thats how the people here are too. Everyone just thinks drinking and drugs is a normal part of life and its sad honestly.

2 Likes