All of my friends drink like crazy

I have a great group of friends. All of us get along great and our wives are all best friends. We have to most epic get togethers, they are so much fun but heavily fueled by excessive alcohol use. I’m talking beers at noon until bedtime. All of my friends are coming over for Mayweather vs McGregor next weekend. How do you keep your friends in this situation and stay sober? They are a great group of people and I don’t want to cut them off.

Welp, they’re just going to have to understand that you can’t be drinking. If they don’t get that or pressure you then they’re not such great friends.

2 Likes

All of my friends still drink and a few could benefit from this app as they have problems but I’m not getting into that they need to come to their own realizations and own it themselves. Most of my friends don’t care that I stopped drinking. Most think I’m kidding, some could careless. Some don’t bother calling or checking in and that to me is their loss. For you, you just need to stay firm and not relapse. Be strong, you CAN do this! It IS possible! Best wishes on your continuing journey. If you need support, reach out (as you are) we ALL got your back!

2 Likes

Yeah man, you don’t drink, period. Now I know that is easier said than done. But that phrase helps me all the time. I don’t drink. Not, I might drink if the occasion calls for it. Not I might drink if everyone looks like they are having fun. I don’t drink.

It has worked for me so far

5 Likes

You can be upfront and honest with them by letting them know you are staying sober or if you want to use an excuse as to “why you’re not drinking today” you can do that too. But it sounds like this group of friends is close knit, so it might be best to just be upfront. True friends will understand and not pressure you. I have a friend who I just told yesterday about becoming sober (she also has an alcohol problems, knows it, but isn’t ready to do anything about it). She said that she is really proud of me and she told me how strong I am to be able to take hold of my life and become sober. She told me that she is glad I told her so that she won’t “be her usual self” and just start ordering shots and drinks for us willy nilly and be the “encourager” to drink Unfortunately, she isn’t ready to join me but I will be here when she is and I’m going to give her this forum as a resource to start.

2 Likes

Get yourself a case of the La croix. Theres no sugar so you can have like 8 of them without catching the diabetus lol. Lots of luck, it sounds like a challenge but you can pull it off.

3 Likes

Haha. I was puttin those away in Mammoth

1 Like

I just got a stockpile of every flavor they make so i can decide which ones are my favorites. I found out about them on here and have been recommending them. Pretty much cut out soda too because of those.

1 Like

Love La Croix… I had a difficult time buying them my first few weeks of sobriety because I loved them, would chug three at a time, & thought they were becoming too expensive of a habit. Ha, I was easily spending 10x that on booze each week. SMH. My mind definitely wasn’t right yet…

1 Like

I’ve found once my friends start drinking, they really aren’t going to bother me about drinking, especially in a big group. They get so focused on there buzz they can careless.

Now, the big question is. Can you maintain the level of strength not to get pulled in to that alcohol vortex? I’d normally say I got a ton of stuff to do the following day and need a clear mind to get it done.

It’s your friends you know the best approach!

1 Like

I really hope I can maintain my strength in this situation. I’ve been looking forward to this party for a long time and its only been a day two since I decided I am going to do it sober.

1 Like