Almost 11 years sober

Good evening. I’m new to this group but have been sober just shy of 11 years. I’m here for anyone that needs an ear, advice, or whatever during their journey. Keep at it everyone.

39 Likes

Congratulations! That’s wonderful :innocent:

2 Likes

Genuine question for you.

If you are 11 years sober, i’m going to assume you have quite a good handle on sobriety and are pretty set in your ways.

So why did you feel the need to join this app? Is it the sense of community or giving back to those in need?

I always saw this app as a support system for people trying to stay on top of sobriety and this is the first i’ve seen of someone joining with over 10 years.

1 Like

There are some oldtimers who are new to this app. Not unheard of

6 Likes

Welcome to TS! Great community here.

1 Like

I wasn’t asking whether it was unheard of or not. I was asking for perspective out of genuine curiosity.

1 Like

I downloaded the app yesterday after seeing someone comment on a Facebook reel, and was curious how many days months years etc… I saw the community portion of the app and started reading some of the stories.

I genuinely posted to let’s others know, I am here for support encouragement whatever or just to listen to your stories. I have been through every scenario throughout sobriety.

I apologize if my post is offensive and can delete and remove the app if need be. Wasn’t my intention in the least. My sobriety date is coming up and even after all this time there are days I struggle.

13 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum! Almost 11 years is amazing!
Please don’t feel the need to leave, your post is not offensive at all! I love hearing from people who have significantly more sober time under their belt as recovery is such a learning curve and journey that has no expiry date.
I have just over 3 years sober (previously 10 years sober) and have days where I feel challenged. Dealing with life on life’s terms and coping with feeling all the feels… can never have too many tools in our toolbox!
Hope to hear more of your story and more of your posts here on the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I appreciate your post, I’m approaching two years but need to constantly work on my soberiety!

I find your post really inspiring and helpful.

3 Likes

Wow, that is amazing! Welcome to the forum! This has been an incredible source of support for me - day 130 with no alcohol, which has not happened in my life in many, many years.

Your perspective will be very welcome too. It can be overwhelming to think this alcohol-free thing needs to be for life…would be interested to know more about your story (when/if you’re ready to share) and how do you cope when you struggle…I’m happy with my decision, but there are days when it’s certainly hard.

4 Likes

That is fantastic. Congrats :clap:

2 Likes

Welcome! This is a wonderful app that has truly aided me in getting sober. Take a look around and dive in :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 years sober and I remind myself very often of all the times I had to reset. Resetting my timer is only one drink away. So I check in from time to time to remind myself or give some supporting :yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart:

5 Likes

well done on 11 years ive been here since 2016 and im 36 years sober this sept ,i come her to see if i can help others who suffer from this illness just like your doing now wish you well

12 Likes

29 years sober.

To answer the question why here (also new to the app); it is because that’s what we do, turn up for each other for many reasons related to recovery unity and service.

“Practical experience shows that nothing will
so much insure immunity from drinking as
intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when
other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion:
Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help
when no one else can. You can secure their confi-
dence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.
Life will take on new meaning. To watch people
recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness
vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have
a host of friends—this is an experience you must not
miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Fre-
quent contact with newcomers and with each other
is the bright spot of our lives”

Chapter … Working With Others… big book

12 Likes

Yeah, not at all offensive! Really hope you’ll stick around and share your hope and experience. No one gets 11 years by accident, or easily.

I can understand the curiosity though. Why bother if you’ve got that much time, right?

I’ve only got 4 years myself. And yeah, one day or hundreds, it seems life still happens. I can kinda see how they say, no matter how much time passes, staying close to recovery and community helps keep perspective, growth and support.

Glad you’ve found us! :blush: And @StephD as well!

8 Likes

Less than two months here and 27 years clean. I came here because I’m not fixed. I get so much from people posting here. I learn things daily. I also appreciate the reminder of what brand new recovery is like. Welcome to the forum!

12 Likes

The reality is we are all equals here. There is no such thing as not having something helpful to give…whether 1 second sober or not even yet sober or 50some years sober. We all need each other. The only difference between when I walked in and 29 years later is time and experience practicing the steps and actions. Recovery is a we thing…all through the book. And the steps. We admitted. I didn’t get here but for everyone else that gave freely. I’m still learning and growing …and still need to…just differently than when I walked in and about as much as I can handle was to try not to pick up ‘right now’ and to reach out.

7 Likes

Welcome!!! I love hearing about people who have made it through so many years! Congratulations on 11 years! You are a inspiration! Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Please keep the app and stay with us.

1 Like