Almost day 12 in one hour

My sister came over last night with a bottle of wine! I said no but it wasn’t as easy as it has been up until now. How are you all doing? I’ve been keeping super busy!

13 Likes

Way to go! Great job turning that wine down!
My day has been okay. Trying to survive the heat. Im so over it haha. Got my kids stuff ready for school on Monday and about to have supper. Work tmrw. That’s about it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations on 12 days, your doing really well :dizzy:
I’m just in bed, its 2am here and I’m all cozy but really hot too !!
Its strong of you to say no to the wine, and each time it will get easier and easier.
It’s great to read this.

2 Likes

I’m so glad my daughter has started school, it’s really calmed her down so far! And she likes the routine.
Sounds like a productive day!

2 Likes

That’s what I was wondering, will it get easier to say no. I don’t usually get to day 12 lol. It’s usually day 2-4 and I’ve already convinced myself that it’s fine and I can moderate so I’m just anxious that I’ll go back. Hope the heat dies down for you!

2 Likes

Just keep saying no, and maybe try to explain if its possible that you would rather not be around it this early in sobriety.
It does get easier, the thoughts pop up still, and there will always be a situation where we need say no, but it does get better and our confidence gets stronger as the days stack up.
Talking about it is great too, your doing so well.
For me I avoid situations and let people close to me know I dont want to be around it.
You should feel so proud you got through and temptation didnt win. The feeling of accomplishing staying sober in this situation also can be used as motivation and confidence building if the situation arises again.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I really don’t like talking about it with my family lol. Of course they’re aware it’s an issue but I haven’t yet told them I’m sober or anything. I’ll have to work up the confidence to do that

2 Likes

Way to go on turning down that wine. Does your sister know you are in the early days of sobriety?

In my first week I had friends come by for dinner and they brought my fav wine. It was extra challenging. Those friends often don’t drink and knew I was just starting my sobriety journey. On top of that they couldn’t get the bottle open and asked me to help. Good grief!

I did it and I stepped away while they poured. And I definitely made them take the half empty (or was it half full?) bottle away with them. I really thought it was a bit rude. They have been better around me since then.

I live in a very heavy drinking area, so I’ve gone into this with the idea that I have to be equipped to be in the presence of alcohol. Over the months this has gotten easier. Having access to N/A beer has helped when I’ve been in the “everyone is having drinks now” scenario. That isn’t frequent for me, but it is a thing.

Way to go in your first few weeks here. They are the toughest and you made it thru a hard situation so good for you! Have a great day!

4 Likes

No, I hadn’t told her yet. But I think she understood when I turned it down because, well why else would I LOL. I am trying to find ways to be better equipped in these situations! Thank you for your advice!

1 Like

For the first few weeks we treat our soberiety as “our little secret”. Like, if our friends and family know we’re sober and if we relapse then that’s just one more thing we failed at. Been there.
You can come out of the soberiety closet at your pace. Expect questions, dumb remarks, people putting booze right in front of you. It does get easier.
Drinking has become such a societal norm that soberiety is treated like leprosy. Think of it as individuality, seperates you from the herd.
Great job on 12 Days!!

3 Likes

Thank you. I think today is even harder than yesterday for some reason. It’s like the further along I get the harder it’s getting lol. Even though it’s only day 13

2 Likes

If you’re feeling better physically, try to focus on that. Often times I want that drink, but if I play it out to the credits I know I won’t feel well afterwards or in the days that follow. Keeping busy does help in those hard moments. Do you have any hobbies?

1 Like

I had friends over all day that don’t really drink. It’s 11:07pm now and my car broke down yesterday so I will make it another day. I am just hoping that I can keep going. Trying to take everything one moment at a time

I’m at day 21 here. Tbh, I wonder how I’ll go at Christmas time. I’ve always had alcohol with my family. Fun times around the fireplace and watching football, New Years etc.
With covid I haven’t seen them in person since late 2019. Part of me wants to give myself a hall pass…and part of me doesn’t.

1 Like

Couldn’t help but comment (even though I haven’t interacted with you much) but if you will be seeing family after a long separation due to pandemic, it’s the perfect opportunity to show up having made some big life changes, like being sober. Just a thought! There have been a few things like that in my family and it’s honesty perfect - the pandemic and time isolated has offered lots of people a chance to evaluate their life and make changes for a better one. That would be my vote! And congrats on your 21 days!!!

1 Like