Am I really an alcoholic?

It hasnt lead to anything bad im just trying to stop before it does thats all. I told my husband i was gonna stop last night and his reply was i support you either way. I asked him if he thought i had a problem and he said no but if you want to get healthier it will help. So right now thats my main focus …getting healthier and trying to be a better version or myself.

4 Likes

The funny thing for me when i have this argument with myself is the amount of good things that have happened to me while drinking or drunk. Absolutely none.

3 Likes

Its not really important if you are or not. The real question is do you want to drink or not

4 Likes

If you ask yourself if you have a problem with drinking then you have a problem with drinking. A normie doesn’t has to ask this question.
Second hint that you have a problem with drinking: you don’t know what to do instead and your brain immediately want’s you to pick up a drink.
Keep your mind busy in early recovery, eat delicious stuff, relax, try to have enough “me-time”, just be good to you.
Good luck friend :hugs:

3 Likes

This is me to a « T ». The f’n obsession, most of the day…then how to control it and be moderate. Once I admitted that I had a problem and stopped drinking, a huge weight was lifted! Don’t get me wrong, my brain still tries to trick me, but I quickly out weigh it with all the reasons not to drink.

3 Likes

Hey Tina, just read your post, if you feel you don’t have control over it, perhaps it is a problem that may escalate. A lot of people on here probably wish they had quit during this phase where life is still semi-normal, relationships, health and dignity somewhat still in tact… before it became progressively worse. Quit while you are ahead. Alcohol tricks you into believing you are highly functioning, when in fact the opposite is true. :bouquet:

4 Likes

Day 5 here my friend. Im like you!! Do i have a problem? Is this really what i want? Can i see myself never drinking again? Its a weird road to travel down as drinking os such a big part pf my life and always has been. I havent even shared with my husband, friends or family my struggle becuase im embarrassed and because my family will say. What? Your fine!! Fuck it. Have a drink. Or you gottta live… well im deciding yes i wanna live. Live a long healthy life for my kid. Keep going girl. We got this!!!

1 Like

I found myself like you questioning this process. But i also considered all of my not yets, i havent missed work yet but i see it coming. I havent crashed my car yet. I havent killed anyone yet. I have made an ass of myself, embarrassed my children and blacked out. My depression has grown with the amount i drink as well. I did lose the love of my life because of my selfish attitudes which i attribute to my fondness of drink. So the not yets are a strong motivator for me.

This message resonates with exactly why i started sober time.

I have been going to AA and i hear some really tragic horror stories. This always caused me to wonder if i belong in the rooms. But everyones bottom is different and just because i realized that i was going to die, kill someone or destroy my family before doing it doesn’t make me any less an alcoholic. Yesterday was the wost day i have had yet and if i didn’t have people to call or the tools to keep the focus on me i would have drank for sure. So listen to what your instincts tell you.

4 Likes

Some would call that your Higher Power!:grinning:

That’s what i call it. I am all in because i have no power over the booze. Once i start watch out.

Well, “ You are what you think or tell yourself you are”? Phrase I used on myself, “reality is perception and perceptions are reality…”

So, in my journey I found myself fighting labels I used to describe me… they don’t define me, but if I acted like duck, quacked like a duck. I might be a duck?

At the very least you need to examine your relationship with alcohol, be aware… Things only get worse if you don’t put your finger on it.