Amazing all of life's little beauties that you begin to notice with sober eyes

Have you noticed how much more awe inspiring life is when you view it through sober eyes. Just the little things. I have even noticed the stars shine more brightly, most likely because they are a little less fuzzy. I just really start to pick up on little things that I would be numb to while using. Has anyone else noticed this?

16 Likes

Might sound corny or dumb but I guess I’ve been looking at life with a mental fog for a long time now. Most my life actually.

5 Likes

I agree with you!

2 Likes

Using put me in the deepest and darkest places in my mind so yes when you say everything has more beauty being sober/clean that fact is insanely obvious once you realize it. Getting clean was my key to open the door to get out of my head…but i can still hear it calling me from under the crack of that same door. Its just one of them things we have to learn to ignore and accept that it will keep trying. Our fight is what makes us strong! Were never alone here

5 Likes

I absolutely agree with u! I also notice all kinds of things now that im clean and sober. I remember one of my most awe inspiring moments was when i was sitting outside a 12 step mtg (One of my very first attempts at getting clean), waiting for it to start, i looked up and noticed the diff colors of green in all the diff trees. It was like i was seeing color for the first time. Everything seemed sooo grey while using. I guess i didnt bother to notice the birds or the diff colors nature had to offer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Exactly this. I can’t even put my finger on it yet but everything is more vibrant, I guess. Probably just my brain fog clearing for a bit. :joy:

1 Like

@Benwa10 I love this post so very much. Yes, I remember seeing things more vibrantly, but what I notice most of all is how I feel so much more, like the gratitude I feel for this post. I really appreciate that you not only notice but take the time to let us in on the wonder. I just had a really long first 10 hour work day of a brand new job and I’m exhausted and this post just lifted my spirit. Thanks.

4 Likes

Thank you. It’s really amazing how much I blocked out with my drinking, intentional or not. I told myself I enjoyed it but honestly I was just trying to mask some pain. In the process I blocked out a lot of nuanced beauty. I can’t wait to see how much better life gets further down this path. God bless.

Like hearing the Beatles for the first time. Sounds like a case of the pink clouds. I know the feeling, birds chirping, the smell of the wind, the taste of food everything feels new to you. You’re probably thinking, “is this how sober people always feel?” Not exactly.
Your senses have been numbed for so long, and now they’ve been released. Like the scene from Ghostbusters when the EPA cuts the power to the ghost containment unit. This sensory overload can feel like a high in itself, enjoy it while it last, it will level off.

1 Like

Totally not dumb, this really intensified for me at 9 months then 15 month and then 2 years weird hey? It just keeps getting better!!!

1 Like

That is awesome to know. I’m looking forward to it all.

2 Likes