An atheist's higher power

That’s bizarre. I was just gonna refer to spirituality as the will inside us all to be good and productive.

2 Likes

Definitely. I’ve thought about AA and I would be in the same predicament myself. And I think you worded it better than I did haha

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes

It’s a bit weird but the main thing there is a bunch of people who have been living sober and happy for it. There is some kind of relief in saying out loud what’s been good or pissing you off that day without judgement. Usually leave feeling like a weight has been lifted… so hope to keep at it… Doubt there will ever be a secular version of it near me.

2 Likes

That is much easier to comprehend. Thanks.

It’s what makes sense to me…

There are secular meetings online …

1 Like

It’s sort of how I’ve been mentally processing the steps… I can read that without feeling a bit of a failure / fraud.

1 Like

Me too brother…me too.

I found this platform while searching atheist alcoholics. To my surprise, believers or not, I found a great community. It is my only resource and helped me tremendously at the beginning. Unfortunately many great people decided to quit the forum for one reason or another. It is not as helpful as it used to be. That said, still is a great resource and it helps. I am here obviously.

HP is a phrase that bothers me a great deal. Just like “I am doing my best.” That is lazy. Doing your best is not good enough and good is not good enough. It has to be great.

For strenghth I choose to rely on myself. I reach deep down inside and find that focused, fierce person who keeps her eyes on the prize. The prize is feeling good about myself and being sober is a big part of that prize. That doesn’t mean that I got it under control. I do have miserable days that I want to disappear. I teach myself to be mindful and read a lot of research.

5 Likes

I would choose my own religion
Worship my own spirit
But if he ever preached to me
I wouldn’t want to hear it
I’d drop him a forgotten god
Languishing in shame
And then if I hit stormy seas
I’d have myself to blame

3 Likes