Another day 1 for me

Back again, feeling like crap after an all day session yesterday, we went to a music festival on a mountain yesterday and I got wasted as per usual.

Woke up at 3am with my heart pounding, chest hurting from smoking loads of fags (I only smoke when I get really drunk, I don’t smoke during the day anymore).

The thought of AA has always scared the crap out of me, I guess it’s because it feels as though I am making my problems “official” if that makes sense. I really do feel as though I need to at least go to a session, just to see if it can help me.

I thought I could drink in moderation, of course I can’t. I’m a massive binge drinker and have been for 20+ years.

I’m scared of the Christmas period and NYE. I live in Taiwan (I’m British) and the booze is so cheap and available, it’s difficult. I really need to do this, I’m 38 next year (July) and I need to put a stop to this nonsense before it puts a stop to me.

9 Likes

I’ve been looking online and there’s an English speaking AA group in the city. I’m going to email them in the morning and see how I go about attending.

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Former AA hater here. I hated it because I knew it worked. I now make the tea and coffee and buy the cakes for my home meeting on a Thursday

Youre an amazing woman Alexis and just like anybody else deserves to be sober and happy. Jump in with both feet and dont look back. There is an amazing life waiting for you in sobriety if you want it.

One day at a time, one hour at a time, hell one minute at a time. You can do this. The first drink does the damage :facepunch: get your arse to that meeting and eventually your head will follow. Love ya :kissing_heart:

9 Likes

Really all ya gotta do is get there. You probably know, you can sit down and listen if that is all you wish to do. (You may be asked if you’d like to speak and it’s 100% okay to decline.)

I remember being resolved to go thanks to people on this forum. I remember at the last minute being gripped with irrational fear but going anyway. I remember all of that fear falling away as I listened. So much laughter. These people got it.

May you find the same! :heart:

3 Likes

I completely understand, however, making it “official” is what has gotten me sober sand kept me sober for 58 days so far. Until I accepted I had a problem, there was no solution. Give it a try with an open heart and open mind. You don’t need to email first - there should be a time and a place on the website. Don’t delay - just go and try it. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

4 Likes

You’re my inspiration! Thank you so much for your kind, encouraging words! Love ya 2 :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Hope you’re doing ok and feeling positive today :smile: all the best :pray:

1 Like

Today was a lot better than yesterday :smiley::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Bill, that means a lot :smiley:
I felt so good before, in the early days of using this app, I’m pissed off at myself for sliding back in the to bullshit.

I hope you’re well!

A

1 Like

I was SO scared to go to AA too, like putting it out there made it real that I had a problem. But sometimes you just need to surrender and say fuck it, what I’m doing isn’t working so I need to do something different.
AA has been a game changer for me. I dove into the program and listened and learned and met sober friends. It changed my life, all for the better. Not every day is sunshine and rainbows of course, but 11 months ago I was miserable and trapped by alcohol, and now I am loving the beautiful life that sobriety has given me.
I wish the same for you! :blush::blue_heart:

2 Likes

As for the putting it out there you have a problem its the best thing Ive ever done. Because its pretty common knowledge to everybody around me now I’m an addict in recovery its allowed somebody very close to me to seek help for their addiction, something they would never have done if I had kept it quiet.

Plus it makes it a lot fucking easier not to be led into temptation by people around you

3 Likes