Another newbie joins your numbers

I’ve had an unhealthy relationship with booze for years, but I’ve been good at convincing myself otherwise and have had varying degrees of success cutting back. A couple of years ago I could even be found pouring wine into the bottle - an action that seems alien to me today.

Some personal shit hit the fan 2 years ago and I started using drink as my crutch and go-to avoidance tool. It was really efficient at helping me to bury feelings that I had to bury in order to survive. I’ve had excellent counselling and I’m no longer in survival mode. I want to stop drinking.

I can do this. I will do this, I deserve this.

My counter is currently at 6 days, 18 hours… I look forward to watching those numbers go up while I get to know you all better.

Happy sober Saturday :blush:
AdaB

24 Likes

Happy Sober Saturday to you and welcome @AdaB. Glad to have your upbeat spirit with us. Yes, you deserve better. Thank you for sharing :slight_smile::grinning::grin:

3 Likes

You got this and we all got your back!!

3 Likes

Welcome. I joined this group a little while ago during my first go at sobriety, which lasted 10 days. Then i relapsed for a couple months, & now i am on my 13th day sober again. It truly helps to be able to pull out my phone & read all the great inspiration & advice on this app in times of struggle. I hope it helps you too, & I wish you well.

5 Likes

Welcome, I’m just a day before you, well done for getting this far. I’m sure you’ve had to dig deep.

This is a great place for help advice and support, the people know what they’re talking about and I’m sure you’ll find it helpful.

A week is a great achievement, congratulations.

3 Likes

A lot harder and easier then you think! I know oxymoronic.

I don’t know if I was just ready to quit or what… but after the first 15 days at this go at it, I’ve had no desire to drink.

I’ll give credit to God, you guys/gals and myself. Hope I didn’t miss anyone.

@AdaB just commit even on dark days! We’re here for you physically, emotionally and spiritually. You got this!

3 Likes

Welcome and happy sober Saturday! :grin:

5 Likes

I’m on day 7. As you say we can and we will do this! Xx

2 Likes

Hi @AdaB welcome!!! You’re at the right place​:sparkles: thanks to this app and all you great people I managed almost 27 days… couldn’t have done without them all!!! Keep on sharing and reading every day… it helps​:rose: hug :turtle:

2 Likes

Welcome @AdaB! Glad you are here with us. Stay strong and stay connected!

2 Likes

I managed to clock 30 days a couple of months ago. So I know I can do it for extended periods, but then I tell myself I can drink in moderation and find myself back to square one. I’ve had to embrace the truth: I can’t.

I had a friend over for dinner on Friday and told her in advance I wasn’t drinking, but not that I’ve quit entirely, I’m not ready for that conversation with anyone yet. All the way home from work I was trying to convince myself to just have the one, or split a bottle of wine. I ended up saying out loud to myself “you know you won’t have the one”. In the end she brought wine for herself and some kind of bucks fizz for me because, and I quote “it’s only 4% ABV so it doesn’t count” :laughing: I’m quite proud to say that I had 2x 0.0% alcohol free wit beers and sent her back home with the fizz.

I take all of the above as a positive indication my position on the ‘cycle of change’ is further along that it used to be.

Thanks for the warm welcome and words of encouragement :blush:

8 Likes

Welcome @AdaB the hardest part of your recovery is over you have admitted to having a problem and have asked for help. My advice to people new to sobriety is 90 meetings in 90 days. This helps you get acquainted to the program and helps you meet people in the program. Good luck on your journey and remember we are here for you.

4 Likes

Hello @AdaB,and welcome. Happy you are here,we all are on the same boat,no judging ,only great support!! 8)IOP and this App tremendously helped me to get to my 22days of sobriety today and I am planning and hoping to keep counting!!8)You can do it too!!Stay connected… 8))

2 Likes

Hi @AdaB. Welcome. Glad you’re here.

1 Like

I fell off the wagon. I got to 39 days. I’m very proud that I got to 39 days, 30 was my previous record, I’m not letting this blip take my previous achievement away from me. Achievements include, not drinking or buying alcohol, being in th e company of people drinking and not feeling like I wanted to myself, sending 2 people home with Prosecco wine they bought for me, being honest with people and myself by saying I’m not drinking anymore.

Why did I drink? I’ve had a very stressful week and I know that is what made me think a bottle of wine would be a good idea. It wasn’t. Classic avoidance, my old go to coping strategy.

Observations: it was a wine I used to love, but it tasted very astringent, and my tongue feels weird today, however I still drank it. I didn’t lie to myself, I opened it full well knowing I was going to finish it. 39 days off the booze make me a cheap date, I felt very woozy after half a bottle. When my kids came home I felt awful, tried to pretend I hadn’t had a drink, but could see me through their eyes and I didn’t like what I saw. I woke in the middle of the night freezing because I’d not even bothered to pull the duvet over myself, I just conked out. Oh and I sabotaged a diet that’s going well.

This morning I feel okay physically, but emotionally, I feel shitty. I let myself down. I’ve reset the app and I’m back on the wagon. I’m posting here so that if I can reflect on this if I feel like drinking again.

Day 40, I’m coming to get you.

2 Likes

Welcome! It’s a hard journey to remain sober, but you CAN do it! I have been off opiates for 15 days and it’s been hard, but I reward myself everyday that I don’t take a pill. Exercise really helps boost your morale. Keeping busy doing anything clean is good too. I wish you luck! Keep me posted!

2 Likes