Anthem of the Day (Part 3)

Love that track. But the lyrics are a bit ambiguous imo.

Although musically not really related, lets me think of this one.

This one is actually very clear in it’s message.
But unfortunatelly the vocal was missused and put out of context several times in recent tracks.

2 Likes

I think White Lines lyrics are pretty clear as well. Just deals with more than just the addiction and the damage done, it also deals with how it is dealt with socially. Different classes, social strata, races. Social comment more than anti drugs song. Like they did. Anyway. Like yours too. Didn’t know it.

4 Likes

Ja. The words are there. It is just my personal impression that they couldn’t release a song glorifying a drug at that time, so they had to add these parts. The lyrics don’t really paint a homogeneous picture to me. But I could easily be wrong. Thats why i said in my opinion.

Btw, another great one where the artist actually says “don’t”. But people hear what they like to hear anyways i guess.

4 Likes

Peace to All

4 Likes

Everybody’s entitled to their opinion of course, but in this case you couldn’t be more wrong IMHO. Try listening to some of their other lyrics. They were the first to use hiphop for social commentary, thus starting a whole genre of socially and politically engaged hiphop.

Anyway, it’s the brand of hiphop I like best. One of my heroes, still around, still rapping and still educating:

6 Likes

Watching A Clockwork Orange i forgot how much I love this symphony

5 Likes
5 Likes

Sunday morning

6 Likes

The Needle and the Damage Done 1972 Neil Young

Later live version.

5 Likes

This Album never gets old. :heart:

2 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

6 Likes

2023 was a slim year of records for me, I only got 9 records all year. The handful of years prior, I was closer to 40-50/yr. Too expensive these days. Used records now cost what new records used to cost. New records are (usually) priced egregiously enough that I outright refuse to buy them.

Anyhow. Enough bitching.
1st record of 2024 is Sinéad O’Connor’s debut. I searched for this for 7 or 8 years, never thought I’d find it.

God damn, she was magic.
I’m still missing her.

7 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

If you were in the UK around 1980, and a teenager, you will remember this.

8 Likes

What im listening to running errands today.

5 Likes

I discovered them later, 87 or 88 and was a very inspirational band for me at that time. Still is i guess. Their sound was never heard before or after. Grew up with New Order, though.

2 Likes
5 Likes