Antibuse Experiences

Has anyone out there had success using Antibuse to get off alcohol? Thinking of trying this option. Thanks!

No experience myself. If you search (magnifying glass) antibuse though, some threads come up like this one:

I tried it years ago and just stopped taking it to drink.

In combination with AA, I used Antabuse to give me the confidence of knowing I would not drink that day while growing my sobriety.

Using it by itself (twice) did not work for me as an aid to long term sobriety. Once the heat was off, I stopped taking it and returned to drinking.

The problem for me was that I was looking for a magic pill that would remove the consequences of drinking from my life. I did not want to take personal responsibility for my alcoholism and its aftermath. And the concept that sobriety requires me to change my thinking and actions was anathema.

The people I know who have used Antabuse or Naltrexone or similar drugs and stayed sober are those who combined the prescription with some structured program that helped them to the personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing. Yes, I have also been going to AA for the past three weeks now, and it has been great. Last weekend, though, I had a bad relapse and had to start over with tracking this week.

1 Like