Antibuse questions?

Because I have issues with both self harm and alcohol, my doctor prescribed me naltrexone. Helps against alcohol and self harm simultaneously. My opinion: your doctor is most educated about your health history and current conditions, and the best way to treat them. Can be disulfiram or anything else. Your doctor should also be knowledgeable about all the different ways it can affect you.

Edit: I live in a place I have the privilege to access all sorts of healthcare for free. If it’s costly for you wherever you live, I’m sorry, and I don’t mean to be putting any pressure on you.

1 Like

I literally just swallowed my first antibuse… i have loved reading this thread. I am so excited for what a sober life will bring.
@Robketts you’re full of such positivity… great to read. Gives everyone hope!

1 Like

Hi @WineWitch293 … good for you… it’s been a long journey for me… I think if anyone is at the stage of taking antibuse it shows how serious they are about quitting…are you doing any group stuff like smart or AA? That is helping me…I do smart and am now a facilitator…not sure how long you have been sober in the past…I am coming up to a year now and have never felt better…! I was so bad before…a litre of vodka a day at my worst! So we can change…it is tough at first but does get easier…

Another tip is to read about sobriety… find out as much about addiction and alcohol as possible…it has demystified alcohol for me…so I see it for what it is, as a potent chemical that messes up my mind and body… keep taking the antibuse daily…and the old habits will fade away with time… let me know how you are getting on :grin:

1 Like

@raiannmorse and @WineWitch293 have you guys experienced any side effects? I’m funny about prescription meds, but I do have an interest in this. My concern is the amount of hand sanitizer I use at work- wouldn’t want a reaction while at work. I need to do more research and speak to my Physician about it. Spoke with @Robketts who hasn’t had any side effects.

I didn’t look in to the medication earlier for that reason. I didn’t want to add any medications because I’m really trying to give my body a break. But after looking into it I found that it’s not really that invasive. I haven’t noticed anything really. At first I did have little nausea. I decided the pros out way the cons. I would recommend it to anyone who does not want to entertain the the thought of drinking.:blush:

Second dose this morning and the only side effects i have is a feeling of faith and hope x :grin:

2 Likes

I tried antabuse without any side effects. It didn’t help me quit because at the time I guess I wasn’t ready to quit. Antabuse is a great deterrent but, it wasn’t enough for me to quit at the time.

1 Like

How so? @Petr

I drank after taking antabuse and I also wouldn’t take it ever day so the effects of antabuse would wear off.

1 Like

Yah, it takes willpower as well. It’s not a miracle drug. You have to participate.

1 Like

I agree. I found that the help, knowledge, and support on this site to be extremely helpful in my success so far in quitting my doc!

1 Like