Antidepressants not helping

So since getting sober I’ve been put on antidepressants to help me through the psychological withdrawal, as common symptoms often include depression and anxiety, also to help me with a traumatic event. I started them on 30th July, I was given citalapram 20mg, obviously takes a while to get in your system, I was taking them at night and had trouble sleeping I was lucky to get 5-6 hours sleep on a good night, I told the doctor about this and then she gave me mirtazapine 15mg, to help me sleep and not want alcohol, so my medication switched a bit, I had to take the citalapram in the morning and mirtazapine at night, it started well, but when both had fully worked into my system the symptoms just got worse, I have at least two or three days where all I want to do is sleep, today I was only awake 8hrs. I really want to get off these tablets I hate taking them to the point that I really don’t want to put them in my mouth… I seen the doctor about it a couple of days ago she told me to take the mirtazapine earlier in the evening, for 5 days it worked but this weekend I’m back to just wanting to quit the tablets, I can’t just stop citalapram as I need to be weaned off them it sucks, really don’t know if I should stop taking them regardless

2 Likes

May i please ask what withdrawl symptoms youve had. Im feeling so confused & dissorientated 24/7 its ruining my life. Ive taken diazapam but they dont help with my sleeping at all. Im currently on lexapro its been 7 weeks and they have not helped at all. Hope your feeling better soon :hugs::hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Try a natural magnesium supplement…u will be surprised how effective nature can be!

5 Likes

I was on Mirtazapene and Effexor XR with Klonopin for anxiety. I know how hard it can be to get off of them especially the anti anxiety meds. I was turning into a zombie. I wasn’t feeling sad anymore but I wasn’t happy I was just like a zombie. I went to my doctor and got off all them. It took a while but I did it. The faster you get off of them the better. That’s just my opinion. It might help certain people for a short period of time but like everyone says after a while they just don’t work.

1 Like

I was at 15mg of Mirtazapine 3mg of Klonopin and I think it was 500mg of Effexor XR

I’ve been sober since the 28th July, coming up two months so it’s been a while, really didn’t feel like they are helping, it’s like my body is rejecting them

1 Like

Or, your past the point where you need them, and the drugs are “overcorrecting” your brain chemistry.

Were it me, I’d be having a discussion with my doctor about a plan to come down on dosage, with a goal on ending them altogether.

2 Likes

Almost forgot to update, I did speak to my doctor and the mirtazapine was cut back and now I don’t take them in the evening, just taking citalapram in the morning and feeling so much better for it, hopefully over the next few weeks they can be cut down and eventually stop

3 Likes

I’m so depress, that without a drugs I`d cry all day. I don’t know what’s help, because I feel that the drugs are helping anymore like in the beginning. :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

My medication worked great in the begin but it got to a point where it just seemed like my body was rejecting them, I hated taking the night time antidepressants because of the sedative effects, I’d suggest that you back to your doctor and tell them, ask if they can change them to something else or even lower the dose

I’m tried different drugs. one drug gave me weight 14kg for 2 month and I depress double and for a year 30kg. And now I don’t wont do go outside - ahh, I don’t know. Tomorrow I have doctor appointment, well see. I’m so tired already. I don’t see point anymore

1 Like

Take GABA and magnesium. Yogi relaxed tea.
Yoga.

I’ve gained weight too while being on antidepressants but as my priority is sobriety I’m not really worried about it, I will loose it in time

1 Like

Some people have to go through a few types before finding one that works. Those ones may just not be best. I take Zoloft and a mood stabalizer, seroquil.

2 Likes

thanks! citalapram is helping. I allredy feel that

2 Likes

I’m on citalapram too :slight_smile: they really help me, had to stop taking the mirtazapine as well