Anxiety and Usage

I’m fairly new! Been sober since 11/04/2021, I fight urges daily! But lately I’m tempered and my anxiety is through the roof! I find that I’m wagering with myself to use! Advice?

10 Likes

I am being professionally treated for anxiety by a psychiatrist and a therapist which I find helpful. AA meetings help too. I find the fact that you can hop on a Zoom AA meeting just about anytime from the comfort of your own home quite helpful.

3 Likes

Does it take slit to get into AA? And I’m tryna do the same finding a doctor lol is not easy

I have suffered from anxiety for the majority of my life. Some things that help me with that are meditation, yoga, breathing exercises or just getting outside for a nice walk in the woods.
Meditation is good for trying to focus your energy inwards and breathe through the anxiety, it can be uncomfortable but there are some guided meditations out there ( I’m currently doing deepka chapras 21 days of abundance which can be found on YouTube)

1 Like

You are right that it is hard to find a psychiatrist. You could ask your regular physician for help in the meantime. Anxiety is awful, but alcohol makes it so much worse. Hang in there.

2 Likes

My regular physician put in a referral for me to see a counselor in regards to my anxiety. It took a few days for a response but yesterday I was able to set up my first appointment for next Thursday. I’ve had anxiety the entirety of my adult life but this will be the first time I have tried a counselor. I’m trying anything I can to stay sober. Day 12 right now & my head hurts & I’m lacking energy/ motivation. I know I need to stay active & drink water & blah blah blah but it’s easier said than done some days.
Good Luck!!! You are doing awesome with over two months of sobriety!

1 Like

Welcome Simon :blue_heart:

It’s like I worry all the bad stuff will happen

1 Like

Thanks for the book tip! Sounds good :pray:

2 Likes

The past two days has been so bad! I’ve literally found myself wanting to drink or use ! My nerves are shot! My boss at work hasn’t paid me, I have no support within the family nobody knows I’m struggling and or that I’m battling recovery and trying to stay sober! I try and keep my mind busy but it back fires I start worrying and then I battle with “self” and it’s like I’m trying to find a way to wager or justify within myself! Why I should or shouldn’t ! I feel like the world is closing in around me! I’m irrational and irritated all in one! Every little thing makes me wanna snap! Early morning conversation and drinking coffee, my mom says stuff I ignore her I’m cranky! I just wanna sleep all the time when I’m not working! Or I’ll work myself to death and then wanna sleep! Hopefully he the sleep will pass time! I don’t know what to do

1 Like

Simon, hang in there. Let me give you a reminder of what drinking will give you if you choose to pick up. Drinking will give you nothing. Absolutely nothing. There is no benefit to drinking. In fact, it’ll make you feel worse. And you’ll feel more stressed and more anxious.

Our drugs don’t cure stress and anxiety. They create it. And the best long-term solution for such is to stop drinking or stop using. That’s the truth. You got this!

2 Likes