Any dancers? How do you let loose w/o going to clubs or bars

I LOVE dancing, love music! I want to go dance… but I’m not ready for club, bars or any dance hall. Most places now a days sale alcohol I’m scared to feel tempted. Any recommendations, ideas ?

3 Likes

Throw your own dance party! Clear out your living room, invite some friends (state clearly this could be dirty dancing, but it’s DRY), get some silly glow sticks at the 99 cent store, and go!

1 Like

I’m scared no one will show up because they might think it will be boring. Most of my family are shy and only have fun once they drink. :roll_eyes:

Maybe I can start making a list of who would enjoy it. Because I care too much of pleasing others I know if I see people with blah faces I won’t enjoy

1 Like

Dance fitness classes ? Help get out the energy maybe :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Eventually I took a local salsa class with a friend in sobriety. In that setting, there’s no drinking. Just people who really wanna dance! The teachers were big in the community and knew other places people gathered to dance.

I’m actually not big on dancing, but once in a while like to challenge my inhibitions! And sober dancing really hits that nerve.

I still don’t like going to dives to dance since that’s mostly just drunken, sweaty people sloshing around. But if you find a crowd that’s really there to get down and not get wasted, it’s a freakin blast!

4 Likes

I’m actually canceling my boring gym membership since I bought a treadmill. Maybe now I can put that money into dance fitness haha I’m shy so it will take me awhile to get the courage but great idea!

6 Likes

Go for it, i was so shy when i first started going to fitness classes but now i just feel confident (most of the time) and welcomed too.
Your find something that hits the spot for you, theres so much out there, but i spend alot of time by myself at home, or swimming or in fitness classes thats it so i dont have any more great ideas :blush:

2 Likes

I do belly dancing and it’s great. I run my own class and attend a weekly class. It’s something you’ve got to learn so it’s not just follow along from day one like dance fitness classes. There is also a huge social side to it. Workshops, haflas (dance parties alcohol sometimes there but not the focus), shows.

In my experience it is super inclusive, a mix of ages and fitness levels etc. And depending on your teacher and style it can be a cool introduction to different music and culture.

10/10 recommend!

6 Likes

I fequently dance in my kitchen and my only dance partners are my dogs :skull: i have fun with it!

6 Likes

i dance all over the house my wife and i are the first one on the dance floor when we are out great way to let go , some times i put on my kilt and let it go my kilt swaying side to side nothing to beat it got to watch the neighbours peeking through the widow as we scots dont have anything under it , my wife some times shouts your a dancer or chancer ? lol

7 Likes

I joined a pole dancing class and it is such a great welcoming community! Very nervous at first but after the first class it felt great :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Ktorres

I reacquainted myself with roller skating; found out that it satisfies boogie-nights!

3 Likes

So many great ideas! Thank you everyone!
I dance at home sometimes but I love being around people. So I’m thinking pole dance and Roller skating!!! Woooh

4 Likes

I see what you mean. I think I only have a handful of friends who would do it hahaha, but who needs a crowd?! Anyway, I think the fitness classes that are dance sound fun and the roller rink. I hope you get your dance in soon! :two_hearts:

1 Like

I live in the UK and have discovered (since getting sober!) The social dancing scene and it is just so amazing!!

Look up swing dancing on your area, there are groups all over and it’s really social, plus an excellent way of meeting people… Here in the UK there are big Lindy Hop festivals too! Where I live there are lessons twice a week which are followed by social dances plus club nights (noone really drinking) and things like Christmas and Halloween parties, it’s amazing!

I was worried it would be all going students but it’s a full range of ages and all abilities, it’s so much fun! I cut loose on a dance floor now like never before!!!

3 Likes

I got caught dancing at the gym today. But that didn’t stop me from finishing my Usher slide. Zumba was different at treatment. Very good exercise. But I hear ya. I used to take the ex out dancing every other week. I don’t think I’d have the confidence to even ask a girl to dance nowadays. Lol

1 Like