Any sober VEGANS out here?

Still have to make sure it’s vegan and that it doesn’t have casein.

Cool. I didn’t look at the link. I just meant bananas only. :+1:t2:

Im almost totally vegan, been vegetarian most of my life and managed to quit eggs and dairy only after giving up alcohol. I realized I csn do it. They are different to me, because the not eating animal stuff is about the ethics of cruelty and the environment, and alcohol was about me, my mind and body and my family. But theyre both about making thoughtful choices including rejecting social norms when they’re bad norms. Our world would be better if everybody were a vegan teetotaller. For sure. I know that sounds smug but it doesnt have to be. Jus sayin.

5 Likes

Hi all. I’m vegetarian for 35 years, however I’d really like to go vegan. I’m looking for advice I don’t drink milk or eat dairy spread or butter. My downfall is cheese. I always feel so bad after eating it. I don’t eat eggs. I heard there are cheese alternatives but wonder what the ingredients are in them. Is it better to not eat them at all and just learn to live with out cheese or a substitute?

2 Likes

Sounds lovely who makes it?

Lol I’m working on it. I’m not perfect by any stretch as a vegan but with the anti cravings drug naltrexsone my desire for cheese is gone too! Lol two birds one . . .
Never mind that was not a vegan saying.

OMG…best ice cream EVER!!!

Earth Island has pretty good cheeses. Dayia is gross…but their cheesecakes are amazing. I’ve heard people rave about Violife but I’ve never had it. But really the best is finding artisan fauxmageries. There are lots of small cashew cheese makers out there.

Also making your own queso or cheese sauces for pasta etc is really easy. You can make it with soaked cashews or even potatoes. I make alfredo sauce with puréed cauliflower.

4 Likes

I’ve been vegan for 2.5 years.

Since watching a lot of documentaries over the last week I decidet to go vegan now. I’m sure it will help my Thyroid and skin (Neurodermatitis).

4 Likes

Yay! great decision :slight_smile: check out vegkit.org for some helpful tips and recipes.

2 Likes

That’s fantastic!! You will be amazed how light you feel…physically AND emotionally.

3 Likes

Went vegan 8 months ago haven’t looked back since!!!

4 Likes

I was in the grocery store yesterday and checked everything very precise. Dairy everywhere! I did not know that it’s nearly in everything :hushed:

Dairy is the worst. I swear it is a far worse industry than meat. And the dairy lobbyists have so much power in our governments. It is rediculous that one food can have its own category on national food guides.

What’s worse is that restaurants go to make a recipe vegetarian by slathering cheese all over it. You think you are doing something good by skipping the meat but are then given scary amounts of dairy.

4 Likes

First I did not believe when you said I’ll feel light, but I really do :open_mouth: Even after I had huge amount of veggies and / or pasta. My new love is oat milk. I can make my own milk hahaha this is great! And after dinner I don’t feel like having rocks in my belly. I even found a recipe how to make fake-cheese :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I never realized how disagreable dairy was with my body until i stopped ingesting it. It was like a big revelation that i didn’t actually have to feel like i had consumed shards of glass after a milkshake.
I love oat milk too! Also vegan cream cheeze is really delish. You can make it simply at home it just takes a bit of time. Gotta soak the nuts overnight, blend and then leave it out for a day or two to get the cultures activated. So worth it though.

2 Likes

I’ll try the cream cheese :+1:
After I stopped drinking alcohol I expected my skin to get better fast. But it did not. But since I stopped eating anything from animals my skin starts to heal. It’s awesome.

3 Likes

Yay. I’m so glad. And on top of the physical light feeling there is also an emotional light feeling, knowing that with every meal you are doing something good…good for you, good for the planet, and especially good for the animals.

I don’t drink milks but I will use it in cooking and for making overnight oats or smoothies. My favourite is pepita milk. I don’t even filter it if I’m using it in oats or a smoothie. For cooking I tend to stick with store bought soy milk…they just tend to be creamier. But that is just my personal preference.

I haven’t tried making cheeses yet except for queso dips or for mac and cheese. But I have some agar agar and hope to one day try making a mozzarella. I just don’t have the patience to make a cultured cheese. There are so many good ones to buy.

My current favourite thing to make is sprouts. So easy.

3 Likes

May I introduce my new addiction: veggie-fruit juice, today spinach, celery, apple, kiwi :green_heart: I try to have one every day

IMG_20180221_114045

6 Likes