Any suggestions?

Hi, im a 25 year old girl that’s drinks a pint of vodka everyday to deal with any emotional issues or stress during my day.

And I need help. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks? Because I’m sick of waking up like this everyday and everyone in my family was an alcoholic. I dont want to go down as one too.

5 Likes

I drank and used daily for years. I stopped with rehab, outpatient, AA, therapy and 1 on 1 counseling.

6 Likes

My life reminds me of Alan Alda’s biography where he described a friend with a drinking problem his entire life. Alan said if he was sentenced to that life by a judge he would appeal the decision. It has many regrets and setbacks

I’m glad you are here and reaching out. Someone once told me that days are filled with choices. Some easy. Some hard. Some downright DIFFICULT. But none the less, all actions have to start with a decision.

Sounds like you made the first one with not wanting to start your day feeling like crap.

I know a few things have helped me;
-Go to bed early. (Choice)
-Get up and exercise somehow. Keep showing up for that workout. Even if it’s stretching. (Choice)
-Take 5 min before you run out the door and write on a piece of paper your goal(s) for the day. Mine includes no drinking. (Choice)
-Alone time, for me is key. If I am stuck running around and distracted by being super busy, I can easily fall off the wagon.
-Sign up with online counseling (better Help is one). Accountability is awesome.

You do not need to feel like crap each day.

2 Likes

Learning to cope and live life on life’s terms without mentally, physically, and spiritually checking out with alcohol is a process that takes time.

This process can be lengthy and hard by white knuckling it; as in, only stopping the drinking.

Or it can be faster and easier by leveraging resources like AA, therapy, counseling, rehab/treatment etc.

I tried white knuckling it at first. I didn’t last long, less than 2 months. The next time I came here, to this forum. I checked out AA. I tapped resources available to me that helped me navigate not only sobriety, but life. I picked up tools to help me cope with not only stress and defeat but success and joy as well.

I think if you want to be sober and live your best life, the best thing you can do is listen to those who are doing it and follow their lead.

If you go into it with an willing heart and an open mind, you can’t fail.

5 Likes

try a meeting might help wish you well

5 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions… i actually have SEVERE anxiety so I’m too scared to go to AA or rehab, even though I think it would help alot. and i do try to stay busy most days it’s just when 5 o clock comes around I just want to stop worrying. :pensive:

1 Like

If you want to stop worrying that bad then you’ll learn to live with your anxiety while doing AA or rehab. Not trying to sound harsh, but the most often used excuse to not do those things is anxiety. And AA and rehab can certainly be nerve wracking, but at some point you’ll realize that dealing with anxiety isn’t as bad as continuing on the path you are on.

6 Likes

I get it… but I actually have vasovagal syncope so it’s a little more than anxiety and I don’t really like to faint infront of people and I KNOW I would faint in that setting.

1 Like

Try online meetings. You have options. There is always a way. Listen as long as you need before speaking.

Focus on changing your thoughts. This will help your emotional state. In turn, this will have an effect on your actions.

3 Likes

As someone with anxiety I can tell you that your anxiety will not be as bad once you have been sober for a little while. I always drank to calm my anxiety and racing thoughts.

After a few weeks of sobriety I realized that it was the alcohol that was causing about 80% of my anxiety. The other 20% became much more manageable once I was sober. When I first stopped drinking I literally thought my anxiety was going to kill me. I gave it some time and realized that most of my problems were actually caused by alcohol.

I listened to the This Naked Mind audiobook by Annie Grace very early on and that helped me tremendously. She does a good job of explaining how alcohol effects your brain and the time it takes for your brain to recover from alcohol abuse. I highly recommend it.

4 Likes