Anyone any good with astronomy?

(That’s right, it’s another non sobriety topic from me :grin::innocent:)

So, right outside my front door I keep seeing this… I think it’s Orion. There’s a street light just underneath which kind of spoils the view so you can only just make out the main star’s.

Oh! The question is. is this Orion?? I’m thinking so because of the ‘belt’

I can’t see anything in the picture but I love astronomy. My dad had a killer telescope growing up so I could see the planets ‘up close’. This is orion.

2 Likes

I’ll try to turn the brightness up on the picture and see if that works…I can only really make it out with the brightness on my phone turned up high :dizzy_face: but from that picture you just posted they do look similar!
Wish I had a telescope that would be awesome!! :star_struck: but for this we’ll have to make do with my Samsung, :roll_eyes:. GALAXY no less (get it? :smirk:)

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I keep walking up my stairs and its like RIGHT THERE when I look out of the window at the top of my stairs. I see it all the time. Very beautiful :star_struck:

Yep that’s it. It’s a winter constellation of you’re in the northern hemisphere. I learned a lot about them when I went to a planetarium when I was younger. Really cool to visit if you have one near you.

2 Likes

Yaay thank you for confirming that!! :blush::hugs:
Yes I’m in North East England.
As always, my phone camera doesn’t do it justice at all. It’s huge and very bright, that picture is only picking up the brightest stars but there’s so many more surrounding it :star_struck:

1 Like

That’s Orion, yup. The belt, and then those two stars to the upper right of that are (I believe) supposed to be the top and bottom tip of his bow.

2 Likes

Just took this one. As you can see the street light is getting in the way :unamused:

1 Like

For anyone who wonders what the stars they see are called, or is wondering what they could see if it weren’t for the light pollution, Stellarium is good software for that: https://stellarium.org

You can pick any location on earth, and any time past, present, or future, and see what all the stars would look like from that point in time and space (even in daytime). If you zoom in far enough you can find names of stars, information about each, identify constellations, etc. Really neat stuff.

3 Likes

Wow amazing thank you for sharing that!! :grin::grin:

1 Like

You’re welcome. It’s been several years since I’ve used it, and I don’t know how well it’s been maintained recently, fair warning. But at first glance it looks fine.

1 Like

Or this app or something similar.

1 Like

im so jealous you can see stars at night! i live in los angeles and the only ‘star’ i see are from airplanes coming and going from LAX.

1 Like