Anyone else struggling?

My husband sails for a living. He sails cargo ships around the world and is gone for months at a time. He is often very busy and we don’t talk much while he’s gone. Sobriety is very new to me and I am struggling tonight. I am a transplant in California living really far from my family who is on the other side of the country. I feel very alone at times, like I have no one to talk to or call. I just want a really long hug, you know? I go to work Monday through Friday, but my nights are spent primarily alone and my insomnia has been crazy bad lately. I struggle with anxiety and depression as well. I just feel alone tonight.

5 Likes

I’m sorry your struggling! Being lonely sucks. Have you tried going in on a AA zoom meeting? I find them to be very comforting when I’m sad or struggling . You don’t even have to share you can even just listen in! But there a lot of women who will give you there numbers so u can connect more personally! This site is also a great place to connect. I hope your evening goes better.

2 Likes

Hi there. I did attend one AA Zoom gathering yesterday afternoon. I have found this forum to be pretty great so far. I guess just sitting around trying to figure out what to do with myself when I’m not drinking is going to be a challenge, and I’m only approaching day three of sobriety. Thank you for reaching out. :heart:

2 Likes

hi there. i can relate, im alone a lot for the most part. So I’m on here a lot if you ever want to chat it up. What do you usually do when your husband is at work and you’re off work?

2 Likes

So sorry your apart from the family. You are never alone. The struggle is never a bad thing. I try to think this makes me stronger everyday. Everyday we have is a better day. The insomnia I’ve experienced in my early weeks. It’s a rough and tough thing to deal with. What helped me was to find constructive things to do as a nightly routine. Take the time and enjoy cooking yourself a nice meal while listening to your favorite tunes. Read a book or go for a nice power walk. I’m in Cali myslelf and we can’t beat this weather. Don’t forget video chat your family and write them a letter. I find that to be the most endearing thing to do to show them you are thinking about them. You’re never alone on this ride. Keep it up and welcome to the crew. Lots of incredible folks here.

2 Likes

Hi there. Thank you. I appreciate that. I usually do a lot of running and reading and writing, but I haven’t felt like doing much of any of that lately. Does your significant other work away from home too?

I really like to color too get yourself some adult color books and some nice gel pens it really helps pass the time and it’s therapeutic

1 Like

Thank you so much for all the great ideas. I do like to cook. And you’re right about the weather! It has been beautiful here these past few days. I love going for walks and runs. I need to start doing more of that. I used to do it all the time. I know I’m never alone, that it just feels like it. But it’s such a heavy feeling sometimes. Thank you for the warm welcome. :heart:

2 Likes

Oooooh I love coloring! I forgot all about it. I am going to look into that for sure. Thank you!

1 Like

Oh I dont blame ya, sometimes we need something new. And no, I don’t have anybody. I live with family right now but I really keep to myself for the most part…

1 Like

I wish I lived closer to my family. I keep to myself for the most part too. I have close friends out here, but they don’t live close by except for one.

1 Like

We could totally trade scenarios- I’ll be at home alone and you live near your family lol. We’re not very close… its alright tho.

1 Like

I can understand that. I’ve never even met some of my family members. It’s just the way it is sometimes.

1 Like

Im so sorry to hear that you’re struggling and away from your family. Recovery is hard, even more so when you feel alone. I fully believe that reaching out when you’re feeling that way is an important (and sometimes scary) step. I’ve found a lot of comfort through recovery programs, its amazing to connect with people who have felt the same things I’ve felt. Beyond that when I was new to recovery I chose something I wanted to learn but never had the drive to do before. For me it was learning to play the ukulele but it could be any fun hobby that takes some dedication. When I felt like using but couldn’t talk to anyone I would pick up my ukulele and teach myself to play until I felt okay again.
Im happy to see you reaching out for help :heart:

4 Likes

I really have enjoyed the AA zoom meetings. Many are 24/7, 365 with an international crowd. I’ve suffered with anxiety and insomnia and I think they’re a tremendous resource if anxious or lonely.

1 Like